Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have been wondering if the evap canister was necessary and if I take it off is it just a matter of plugging the line(s) to the throttle bodies and leave the tank vent hose aiming down to the road?

I too am searching for better response and think this will have some impact since I have the hissy tank syndrome (HST).

Dave

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Removing the canister doesn't affect the low rpm fueling issue as per experience. Will need to change mapping of ECU to remedy that. It sure does make the SF WAY lighter though.;)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I am going in for service anyway and I will get it re-mapped/flashed then... the weight loss is not such a bad thing, I could use to lose some anyway!

If it ain't required for some reason, off it comes!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If it ain't required for some reason, off it comes!!

Thanks.
Let's just say the bike doesn't require it :)
You actually don't need to do anything once you take it off - did the same to mine and runs fine (more or less same as before). Just plug the holes and you're done.

BTW - If you want to use rubber plugs to plug the holes get the BMW ones. They last longest and they work. Cost about $3 a pair.

Cheers, Robert

·
Registered
181 Posts
By the way, where is the cannister? Directly under the tank? I can't seem to see it. I think I see the hoses that go into the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
By the way, where is the cannister? Directly under the tank? I can't seem to see it. I think I see the hoses that go into the throttle bodies.
it's that black plastic rectangular thingie at the lower left front of the bike, just behind the radiator/cooler and above the lower bodywork...:D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
We dont have those fitted, thank fuck. Another load of shit to appease the do gooders

·
Registered
30 Posts
any updates from a mechanic or tech on whether or not we can take this POS off? I have the full termi system on my SF S and I hate this crappy eyesore.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to guess it was not do-able by the dealer... they will certainly show you how but not allowed here I guess.

Is it a strictly California emissions thing that we all have to have?

Mine is coming off tomorrow... got a thing tonight...lol

Dave

·
Registered
230 Posts
epa item to make 50 state legal. don't need outside of CA. Easy to remove. You could just run the throttle body hoses together with a straight plastic vacuum line fitting. Run the tank vent down to vent to ground and toss canister. Don't need to adjust anything either.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm... I was under the impression you plugged them individually? Is there some reason to go together like sync/balance or something?

·
Vendor
423 Posts
Whenever we take these canisters off a bike here at the shop we plug them. Take the time to get all the way to the manifolds and take the nipple out. Take a 5mm bolt and throw a drop of blue locker on it and screw it where the nipple was.
Run the remain tube to the bottom of the bike. Make sure its not near the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, thanks for the tip... will shoot for this weekend as I sneak away from "yes dear" duties.

·
Registered
30 Posts
so 2 x 5mm bolts on the ones that are on the manifolds, then run the tube from the tank in the rear to the bottom of the bike...got it I think that is what I did!

Appreciate the help. Now what am I going to do about that fugly hole in the front left of the bike left by missing evap canister!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am planning to re-mount my horn (useless anyway) to out back of the rad fan area, might use the mounting bracket from the can for it.
Funny thing I looked... my frigging "dump tube" was pointing directly at the forward exhaust pipe FFS!!... kind of glad I am taking it off now for sure! I don't need another incident!!

Hey intel, did you find the mounts on the manifolds easily or do I get to learn how to remove my tank now? I really haven't looked too closely at that part yet.

Another cool part of removing this thing is you get to see some more of that wonderful engine!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts