Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MultiStrada V4S
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done away with the evap canister on the V4? I've was having trouble with my tank being slightly pressurized when I opened the gas cap. I've always topped the tank when fueling, (not following the manuals instructions to not overfill) now at 9,000 miles, and had one instance where I way overfilled and nearly had gas come out the top of the tank. Since the accidental overfilling the tank pressurization has gotten much worse. I figure I've ruined the charcoal canister with fuel so read up on riders with the V4 Panigale bypassing the evap canister with no ill effects so here's what I did.

I plumbed mine using the existing hoses so it's completely reversible. Looking at the picture I joined green to blue, capped yellow and removed the canister. You can see in the picture that now all tank breather and drain hoses run to overboard at the bottom of the engine. I confirmed my plumbing by opening the gas cap and blowing air up from the hose at the bottom of the engine. You can hear and feel air coming out the gas cap. No longer any pressure in the tank when opening the cap. Bike runs fine.

The problem I have is that on a hot day I get a strong gas smell and a few drips from the overflow tube. With the engine hot from a ride, after idling for 10 minutes in a 90* garage I get this.

Not much of a problem while riding but I'm not liking the smell in my garage. I've discussed this with another V4 rider that plumbed his the same except that he trimmed the hoses by 10-12 inches and I left mine the stock length which creates a loop up where the canister sits. He reports no problems with smells or drips while riding in the same conditions. Could the excess hose creating the loop be the problem here? Anyone see a problem with the way I've done this?

I have a new evap canister on the way to put the bike back to stock but I don't see why just bypassing it completely won't work. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well I have no v4 but never had any gas smell with canisters removed, and my garage is inside the house. So I would guess your loop have something to do about it.

And I don't see the need to put it back on, that can cause more harm than good imho.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There might be excess hose making a “P” trap of sorts and holding some fuel. If all hose is running straight downward you must simply be overfilled before parking in the garage? I’ve not removed the charcoal filter from my v4 but I’ve removed It from my other U.S. bikes and changed all hoses back to Europe specification with no issues except some fuel spillage if I fill up before putting the bike away. Charcoal canisters usually just fill up with fuel and need the excess fuel to evaporate out, when they overfill is when the problems occur.

·
Registered
2022 MultiStrada V4S
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you hit the nail on the head and a "P" trap is a great way to describe it. This morning to try and get a better idea if the excess hose was really the problem I pulled the plastic, disconnected all hoses and ran the vent hose straight down from the tank in front of the radiators so that escaping vapors had a straight downward path after exiting the cap. The vent hose is about 18 inches long. To warm up the tank, I ran the bike 20 minutes in a 70* garage and then let it sit for 10 minutes. I could see gas vapors escaping the end of the hose but didn't smell gas and the hose end was dry. Ran another 10 minutes and waited 10 more and there was a drip starting to form on the end of the hose. This was with less than half a tank of gas and I checked the tank after each run and there was no pressure or vacuum when opening the cap so I know the cap is venting properly.

I think at this point if I were to trim the hoses so that there's a straight downward path for vapors to escape everything would be fine. The tiny drip that started to form today would easily evaporate if the bike was moving. That said, I have a new evap canister on the way and had no problems until I major overfilled a couple thousand miles ago. I'm inclined to put the new parts on and make sure not to fill the tank above the bottom of the filler neck. The overfill occurred at a gas pump that was all or nothing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Awesome! If you look up on the Italian parts schematics, you’ll see the drawing and part numbers for those parts if you want it to be factory plus you can see the hose routings in the drawings. With my monster I just went to the local auto parts store and bought what I needed from looking at the Ducati online parts catalogue. With my 1198, I ordered all the correct parts from Ducati online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts