Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have any experience with Evan's waterless coolant? If so, what was your experience? I have a friend who is getting out of the motorcycle/supermoto world and has some laying around. He has the pre treatment and the actual coolant. I have always wanted to try it but have read a few conflicting instructions. A few say to remove the thermostat and some to leave it alone(not Ducati specific, just general instructions).

·
Registered
829 Posts
No experience, but you got me curious so I had a look at their website.

They have slightly different instructions for bikes with and without thermostats. Seems like the biggest issue is ensuring the system is fully purged and there are no contaminants (water) prior to adding it.

They do mention in their tech tips that thermostat removal can potentially decrease cooling system pressure, in turn decreasing temps. But they also say this is not suitable for all applications:

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/tech-tips

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/conversion-installation/powersports-installation

I'm interested as well to see if anyone has first-hand experience with it.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Unless you find some specific instructions to remove the thermostat I would leave it in there. The thermostat not only lets the engine heat up quicker, but it slows the flow down so coolant spends enough time in the radiator to shed heat. You certainly shouldn’t need to remove it in Michigan.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The friend has the prep fluid as well. I'm having issues (probably not a legitimate issue but mentally messes with me) where the bike will turn the fans on sooner than I would like. The bike will hit 220° easily. It will maintain the 200-220° on it's own using the fans but it seems like it shouldn't get that hot that easily. I was also looking at a fan override switch. I have read numerous areas that other hyper owners have never had their fans turn on. I started the bike last night in 30° ambient temp and within 5 min I was at 220° and fans on. Granted the bike was not moving. One time the engine light turned on in traffic on a hot day. The fans didnt turn on(after doing a bunch of searching I found that it is not that uncommon for Ducati fans to freeze up if they havnt been activated in a prolong period of time.) I went to the shoulder of the road and zipped off to the next exit. Getting the air flow over the radiator lowered the temp as I rode but when I stopped I noticed one of the fans were stuck. No reason, just stick. Hasn't happened since then

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info but no-rosion is a competitor of Evan's and the testing they provide almost reads like an advertisement for no-rosion.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish by using this product?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The whole system is free and is supposed to cause less corrosion. I'm not exactly sure. Maby less wear and tear on the impeller. I would love it if it made the bike run cooler. Mainly becauseit's free and I really wanted to try it in my old big bore stroker supermoto build.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Then do it. Someone has to be first, it might as well be you. What’s the worst that could happen ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suspect you would see higher temperatures and faster warm up times with these products as they have a lower specific heat capacity than water, meaning they hold less heat energy.

If you want lower temps then try a higher percentage of water in your coolant mix like 60:40. That solved my temp problems on my ST4S.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The coolant has been changed to Evan's. I ran it in the garage till the fans kicked in. We will soon find out if there is anything to it. According to the email Evan's sent me, their coolant does not create air pockets and higher temp areas in extreme heat locations like the exhaust port unlike water based coolants. They also said that I might not see lower temps but the engine will be more evenly cooled as opposed to specific hot spots

1 - 12 of 12 Posts