Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used Evans Waterless Engine Coolant? I spoke with them this morning. Anything that will help the bike run a little cooler seems like a good idea to me. In stop/go traffic on a hot day the thing runs, what seems like, rather hot. Fan comes on (religiously) @ 215 F and off at 212 F. But I've seen it hit 224. Doesn't make me all that comfortable. The bike at Evens wasn't available the car guy I spoke with was only familiar with the 996 engine. He said something about it having a large thermostat bypass hose which is part of the issue. He thought there was a hose kit that re-routes or bypasses this. Hopefully the powersports guy is in tomorrow.

Until then, anyone have any experience with Evans?

·
Registered
617 Posts
You won't run cooler with Evans Coolant.

Water is the best coolant on the planet. Mix it with WaterWetter to attain the lowest operating temperatures under all conditions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You won't run cooler with Evans Coolant.

Water is the best coolant on the planet. Mix it with WaterWetter to attain the lowest operating temperatures under all conditions.
Correct. While I have no direct experience, it's been tried and discussed at length on the rx8club forums for years. When it's been used somewhat successfully, it's to address an issue of steam bubbles forming around very hot spots in 13b and 20b rotary engines. Also, Evans allow you to run without any pressure (radiator cap) in a cooling system since it doesn't need to be pressurized to prevent boiling. What it specifically will *not* do is run cooler than the usual antifreeze/water mix.

What you (the OP) are describing is pretty normal for ST's, including mine. The fix? Turn the fan on earlier. Desmotimes sells a fan switch kit or you can search the ST section for other ways to do it. Worth going to desmotimes.com and find it under the "modifications" section where you can find a description of the issue.

If I turn on the fan in stop/go traffic when the temperature reaches 180 deg, it will pretty much hold there. If I wait to turn it on after reaching 200+ deg, it takes a very long time to come down. YMMV.

Also, the 2 water temperature sensors seem to be pretty much guaranteed to go bad over time. Substitute replacements can be found for about $10 versus the $90 Ducati charges.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run distilled water with water wetter in my 998. It runs cooler than standard coolant.

I would stay away from Evans. I have seen a cracked head on a KTM running it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts