Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 900 SS/SP now has a Km speedometer installed by me and is reading about double the actual speed and Kms. The speedometer drive is from a 916 because that is what fit the new monster forks, wheels and axle. I am getting nowhere searching for the correct drive or gearing or cable for my hybrid front end. I am beginning to think that the problem is with the SS speedometer/odometer gauge internals and am asking if those internal parts can be replaced.

Has anybody changed their speedometer from MPH to a KPH and had it work properly? If so, how?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here's the deal.
All the 25mm speedo drives are for the CEV gauges and have a different ratio. So when you use them with the Veglia gauges they read incorrectly.

What you need to do is order a speedo drive from a 98 900SS FE. The part number is 49810051A
You have to swap the gears from that speedo drive into your 916 unit. Then your speedo will read correctly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the info. My dealer was awaiting word from Ducati NA and never received it. I now have that PN ordered and will arrive next week. Will let you know when all is well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I have the 1998 900 FE speedometer drive but it is all sealed up. It is plastic all glued together into more or less one piece. Am I supposed to carefully break/cut it apart and re-assemble/reseal it back up? I do not have the 916 unit off my SS yet but it does not look like this speedometer drive is going to survive the dis-assembly process. I am hoping the 916 speedometer more readily comes apart to accept these new innards.

Maybe I am bringing up this re-post too soon but am I going to find that my current 916 speedometer drive (the one that fits this front end) will come apart to accept these new 900FE internal gears and go back together properly?

·
Registered
277 Posts
What you need to do is remove the tiny roll pin (Blue Arrow Fig 2) and pull the brass insert out (green arrow, both pics). From the backside, pull the main plastic gear out.
Do the same with your 916 speedo. Swap the gears (magenta arrows) from the 900SS speedo drive into the body of the 916 speedo drive. Reinsert the brass unit and reinstall the roll pin.
Done.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG. This is absolutely amazing. I truly hope you did not have to take apart your motorcycle to show me this. I truly appreciate it if you did. I can do this now. Thank you. Now i just have to put my odometer back on the drill press for a couple of days to roll back 1/2 the kilometers that I have put on it so an accurate reading is displayed. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts