Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am stationed here in Germany and I am thinking about getting either a Bimota or a Duc. As I know little about Bimotas I thought I would pick your brains. Here is a list of Bimotas for sale in Germany. The SB8R seems interesting. I know that any bike over 25 yrs old can be brought into the US without and problems.

http://www.mobile.de/SIDOH9AFsFCaZXb1FKfEaEBXw-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P~BmSB11LsearchPublicJ1154350939A2LsearchPublicD1300IMotorbikeS-t-vpLtt~BmPA1B20A0/cgi-bin/searchPublic.pl?sr_qual=GN&formType=kradDetail_GN&_form=search&sr_make=3400&sr_model=&sr_vehicleType=-2&sr_priceFrom=-2&sr_priceTo=-2&sr_category=1300&sr_cubicCapacity=-2&sr_powerFrom=-2&sr_powerTo=-2&sr_registrationDateFrom=-2&sr_registrationDateTo=-2&sr_mileageFrom=-2&sr_mileageTo=-2&sr_engineType=-2&sr_gear=-2&sr_drive=-2&sr_color=-2&sr_country=-2&sr_zip=&sr_zipRadiusTo=-2&sr_damaged=0&sr_daysOldTo=-2&sr_sortOrder=0&sr_advertiserType=-2&sr_deliverability=-2&doSearch.x=82&doSearch.y=8

I know when I return to the US the bike is shipped in household goods but how difficult will it be to title in the US (Texas)?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe if you are in the military and are stationed overseas you can bring the bike back with you as moving goods. I would check with the DMV in your home state.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The two biggest issues you will have are converting the bikes to US DOT specs (turnsignals, lights and running gear) and EPA certifying the motor (very expensive). I would suggest that you may want to buy it there, use it there, and then sell it before you return. There are still quite a few SB8R's in "new" condition in the US; As of two weeks ago, Motopoint has quite a few 8's and 8R's; and there is another guy in NC that warehoused several of them hoping to "make a killing", who is now trickling them out into the market at a substantial discount. Converting Eurospec vehicles to US spec is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Shift-Tech said:
I may be wrong but I believe if you are in the military and are stationed overseas you can bring the bike back with you as moving goods. I would check with the DMV in your home state.

It still has to meet the various DOT/EPA regs before it can be titled. Yes, it can be brought back but riding it legally (title, registration, plates) is a bit "involved".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts