Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been trying to track down a low mileage 998 for quite a while now. There are a few for sale in the UK that are Euro spec. Are these able to be imported to the US? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've done a fair bit of importing grey market bikes from Japan. If the bike is old enough you can register it in most of the US. There will be considerable cost for shipping. logistics, etc unless you are well versed on how to ship vehicles overseas. California registration will be an issue because of emissions standards but there are ways around it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I dont know if this still applies or not but years ago you had to change things like the Speedo, lights etc to U.S. spec parts.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
If it’s 25 years or older. Yes you can import and register it without updating it to us spec…I have done it with a car and bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi! Careful, recently overseas shipping is expensive. Wood shock caused crating to skyrocket, container shortages made shipping itself up 10 fold. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm set on a 998. It's not 25 years old because they are a 2002. Not worried about shipping costs if it gets me what I want. I just want to know if a euro spec 2002 998 will be clear to register in the US.

That said. Anyone know of a 998 for sale in the US that's low mileage and factory-ish condition?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I just want to know if a euro spec 2002 998 will be clear to register in the US.
Officially you wont be able to but there are ways around it. Your ability to get it registered will also depend a bit on what state you live in and a bit of luck. Send me a direct message and I can discuss some ideas.

Reactions: DarrellF

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Legally if less than 25 years old you can get it registered but it must be converted by a authorized shop…there are lists of these for each state….it’s only a handful in the entire country and it’s extremely expensive (more than the bike and shipping). Yes there are ways around all this which are very “grey”. And I have a friend who went that route and got caught. The government impounded the bike forced him to convert…..between all the charges fines and penalties he was wiped out financially….he never even got the bike as it had to be sold to recover some costs….and he spent many more years paying back what was owed. Not saying it cannot be done, I have brought bikes and cars in and have friends that also do…. But do so with caution if your in the Grey Zone…the consequences are very steep if you did it illegally.

Reactions: ProphetPVD
1 - 8 of 8 Posts