Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/

Just got off the phone with them. THEY ARE WORKING ON IT AND SHOULD BE READY IN FEBRUARY-MARCH FOR THE SAME APPROXIMATE PRICE AS THE 848. I suggested and they said they'll certainly look into offering the option of a pods in air box out tank.

They'll contact me when it's ready.

I also got a message to my local area Ducati rep. I own a 1985, 1992, 1996 and 2006. With a 1998 and 2002 in between. I want to know WTF 848s are getting an aluminum tank on the catalog and we are not. And an ETA for my replacement AND an extension of the factory warranty for the time my 2006's been dry docked awaiting warranty repairs.

This is BULLSHIT and I've had enough.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
i liked it better, before you edited it, but it is good news never the less.
i was always wondering when eti-fuelcell would chime in.

how heavy is the stock sport classic tank ?

:think:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I want to know WTF 848s are getting an aluminum tank on the catalog and we are not.

The probable answer to that is Ducati have sold more 848s in the short time they have been available then all models of sportclassic put together since the initial release.
We are a very small minority when you look at the numbers and therefore somewhere near the bottom as far as any form of priority goes.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Wow. Those tanks are losing 5-9 pounds! I was really thinking about aluminum in the future, but maybe this would be a cool way to go, prices around $1280+. I like the different shapes they offer for the late model supersport tanks, much better than stock IMHO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they doing the GT or just the Sport tank?
Sorry. Didn't ask

i liked it better, before you edited it, but it is good news never the less.
i was always wondering when eti-fuelcell would chime in.

how heavy is the stock sport classic tank ?

:think:
I guess we all need to vent once in a while....

Haven't got a clue about weight. And honestly not concerned about it.

The probable answer to that is Ducati have sold more 848s in the short time they have been available then all models of sportclassic put together since the initial release.
We are a very small minority when you look at the numbers and therefore somewhere near the bottom as far as any form of priority goes.
Beg to differ on that one. I have one Sport Classic and no 848. So I have more SCs than 848s. What others do doesn't concern me.

Maybe Ducati should seriously consider eliminating fiber tanks for the ethanol happy markets.

But I guarantee you that ALL 848 and 1198 sold form now on in the US will still have a fiber gas tank instead of the aluminum tank. Despite having it available. That's how fucking stupid this company is. One thing I know for sure. I will NOT buy another bike with a fiber gas tank. I don't care who makes it, cool factor, lust, character or bullshit along those lines.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.... shame on me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, please find out if they're working on a tank just for the GT, or one for the PS1000 and Sport...

(added.. and I hope they do a better job making tanks than they do making their web site.. numerous typos, blinking text.. yikes)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
But I guarantee you that ALL 848 and 1198 sold form now on in the US will still have a fiber gas tank instead of the aluminum tank. Despite having it available.
Unless I am mistaken, the aluminum tank was made for a special edition of the 1198R. Ducati probably decided they might as well make it available separately; I'm sure it will lower their cost per unit if they sell some quantity to people wanting to upgrade their 'regular' 848 and 1198 bikes.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I'm getting one of these ETI tanks for our Sport Classic project bike.

We have been taking pre-orders for the ETI Sport Classic tank. We are offering a small discount and free shipping on all pre orders for these tanks

We used the oversize ETI tank on our 1098 project. It is a good tank. They have a good warranty and the extra volume is useful on the 1098. We recomend using a tank sealer on all carbon or kevlar tanks to protect your paint- because even if they don't leak, the fumes tend to leach through and shrink the paint.

-M

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Let me figure this one a bit....:think:
Apples to Oranges
Lets look at the cost factor.
The cost will be more as getting a tank from Ducati and having it sealed.

So for a Sport Classic tank:
COST based on the 1098/848 FROM ETI:
The tank is $1425
Paint is $490 (490 Basic if done by ETI)
Decals $50
Tank seal is $200 (or more depending installer)
High end it's $2165
With Calli Tax of 9.75%
$2376.61
Labor cost to remove and reinstall not factored in if done by a tech
Not counting the time to get the stock painted part to them for color matching.

If buying a tank from Ducati OUT OF POCKET:
Tank from Ducati $1878 (PS1000LE) Priced today at PI
Comes painted w/Decals
Sealing $200
$2280.06 with Tax

Getting a warranty Tank Swap
Free Painted from factory with decals
all Labor Free
Coating the tank $200 Total

GRANTED ETI is lighter
Life time warranty from ETI (even with sealing?)
Thats about it.
and
As it is still a new prototype.
Fitting the fuel cap
and the fuel pump
and mounting to the bike is still TBD

As always martin and the boyz are at frontline battling for us.

Let us know how it looks fits and is working out the kinks for us.

the final cost start to finish would be of great interest to me

JC

I'm getting one of these ETI tanks for our Sport Classic project bike.

We have been taking pre-orders for the ETI Sport Classic tank. We are offering a small discount and free shipping on all pre orders for these tanks

We used the oversize ETI tank on our 1098 project. It is a good tank. They have a good warranty and the extra volume is useful on the 1098. We recomend using a tank sealer on all carbon or kevlar tanks to protect your paint- because even if they don't leak, the fumes tend to leach through and shrink the paint.

-M

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Let me figure this one a bit....:think:
Apples to Oranges
Lets look at the cost factor.
The cost will be more as getting a tank from Ducati and having it sealed.

So for a Sport Classic tank:
COST based on the 1098/848 FROM ETI:
The tank is $1425
Paint is $490 (490 Basic if done by ETI)
Decals $50
Tank seal is $200 (or more depending installer)
High end it's $2165
With Calli Tax of 9.75%
$2376.61
Not counting the time to get the stock painted part to them for color matching.

If buying a tank from Ducati OUT OF POCKET:
Tank from Ducati $1878 (PS1000LE) Priced today at PI
Comes painted w/Decals
Sealing $200
$2280.06 with Tax

Getting a warranty Tank Swap
Free Painted from factory with decals
all Labor Free
Coating the tank $200 Total

GRANTED ETI is lighter
Life time warranty from ETI (even with sealing?)
Thats about it.
and
As it is still a new prototype.
Fitting the fuel cap
and the fuel pump
and mounting to the bike is still TBD

As always martin and the boyz are at frontline battling for us.

Let us know how it looks fits and is working out the kinks for us.

the final cost start to finish would be of great interest to me

JC

The cost of the tank, paint and decals is a lot less than what was posted...painted by our guy with OEM style stickers and the insides sealed with 2 part epoxy sealant should be about $1850-1900 range.

Best way to do it is getting a warranty tank, sell it and get the lighter ETI tank.
Then you won't be out of pocket much at...:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
What blows me away is the cost of some of these parts. Think about it... A new Paul Smart was around $14,000 - $15,000. So at $2,000, the price of this one part is equal to 1/7 of the original value of the PS. How is it that a part that isn't very complicated have such a high price? Yes I realize there is a lot of work in the manufacturing, but it just seems aftermarket parts are just so over priced these days.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
What blows me away is the cost of some of these parts. Think about it... A new Paul Smart was around $14,000 - $15,000. So at $2,000, the price of this one part is equal to 1/7 of the original value of the PS. How is it that a part that isn't very complicated have such a high price? Yes I realize there is a lot of work in the manufacturing, but it just seems aftermarket parts are just so over priced these days.
Individual parts have always been more than the cost of the entire bike.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Can a standard Ducati SC tank be sealed after it has been used, or does it have to be brand new? We have just started to have fuel tank issues here in the UK due to the latest brainwave of adding 5% (soon to rise to 10%) ethanol to our petrol.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Yes it can
In some cases if the tank is drained and washed and hung to dry it will shrink back.
there is much of this covered in the Sealing the tank NE1 thread
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=76452
jc
Can a standard Ducati SC tank be sealed after it has been used, or does it have to be brand new? We have just started to have fuel tank issues here in the UK due to the latest brainwave of adding 5% (soon to rise to 10%) ethanol to our petrol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I still would rather have an aluminum tank! But thumbs up to ETI good products!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
eti fuel tank

hey guys ,can anyone tell me what tank they are making? ps tank? sport 1000 tank? gt tank? all of them ? or some ? cheers d:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Boy, am I glad. The last piece of the puzzle for my tail chop project is about to fall into place. Aluminum in a lot of ways would have been cool, but the original Ducati sport tanks were fiberglass, so this is actually more in keeping with the spirit of the bikes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts