Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, are there any good additive for fuel that contains Ethanol?

Is Star Tron ok, I was told to use this by a buddy. He uses it on his R1 when he cant get Ethanol free gasoline.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Hi guys, are there any good additive for fuel that contains Ethanol?

Is Star Tron ok, I was told to use this by a buddy. He uses it on his R1 when he cant get Ethanol free gasoline.
Nice problem to have! here in CA there's no ethanol free gas unless you buy race gas or av gas.

Modern bikes handle E10 just fine. Is a plastic tank and swelling issue your concern? Or long term storage? Both have a simple solution. Ride it more...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I use Startron, works great stops ethanol gas stratification and as a stabiliser for storage also, but then again that's just my experience...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would add Startron to the list.

My procedure for uncoated tanks is to fill them to the brim with shit gas and add Startron to neutralize the crap and Stabil to keep it alive for more than two weeks.
For coated or plastic tanks, I remove the gas if the bike is going to sit but, otherwise, Rule #1 applies.
I have a no E guy near me that is close to reasonable so I use that also for stuff that sits, but still follow the Rule #1 additives.
I have also been known to cut the shit gas with AVGAS or racing fuel to lower the shit %.
For bikes that have been sitting off season with 4-5 month old Rule #1 gas, I remove the gas and replace it with new Rule #1 gas and then ride it.
My lawn mower and pickup truck are the recipients of the old Rule #1 gas.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
As a test, the local Ducati shop set up three jars of identical E10 premium fuel with an uncoated non-stainless metal screw floating in the bottom to be allowed to be exposed similar to an uncoated metal tank. They then dropped in a few ounces of tap water. One jar was untreated, one used Seafoam and one used K100. They've been sitting out at the parts counter for a few years now; they set it up thinking Seafoam would win because it's the market choice.

The untreated jar is a hot mess of rusty brown juice and the screw looks like a meth addicts tooth. The Seafoam shows discoloration and water separation, but the water mixes back in with some simple agitation; the screw is oxidized but whole. The K100 treatment looks like fresh gas, the screw looks untouched and the water remains separated regardless of the amount of agitation.

It's a really effective demonstration and K100 is now my stabilizer of choice.

https://k-100.com/

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
OK, so I was off a little bit. It was Sta-Bil, Star-Tran and K100, and it was with a nut, not a bolt. When I asked when these were set up the answer I got was, "I don't remember, four or five years ago maybe? It's been too long, I'd have to do the math." A picture is worth a thousand words, here are two.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Note test being 4-5 years old, though not stipulated, they no doubt used the old, original red Stabil. The newer blend 360 much more potent and effective, IMHO and experience.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is really sad - we have to go all through this so we can have corn based adds to real gas!
I take a 5 gal can everywhere I go and use an iPhone app to find rec fuel. Or, run across the border to Canada where they have real gas.
I'll do anything I can to use it in any machine I have including my John Deere LX176, trimmer and blower.
My test has been to see how long it will be before they won't even start nor run on what's available at the corner station. In addition, the fuel hoses etc. for these type of older units don't stand up at all.
End of rant ..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well I had something nice happen to me today, a friend gave me a 55 gallon drum of fresh 100 octane low lead- non ethanol avgas --Damn my bikes are going to be really happy for a while lol. If in the U.S. go to I think the site is Pure Gas .com or something like that and you can find real fuel near you, The other option is any marina or airport has it--you cant run ethanol in aircraft or boats --yes the avgas is more expensive But--it will pay for itself not needing the repair that ethanol causes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have used the old "red" Stabil for years and not had any issues but switched to Startron last fall. I haven't noticed any differences storing the bikes, mowers, and extra saw gas between the two but I also make a ritual end of the season winterizing my crap because I am sick of effing with small carburetors every spring because of crap gas. We can get clear gas in limited areas here in Oregon but it is so expensive and few and far between it's easier to just treat the fuel with an additive. Then again I have a steel tank so I don't have to worry about swelling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only pure gas for me. I keep extra at home and fill before I ride. If I’m out and around a pure gas station I fill the bike but for the most part I fill from home tanks.

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
I use pump 87 if do not have a built motor(higher if modified), I never care if it has ethanol. I maintain my bikes no more of less than most. I have no ethanol problems. I have learned how to deal with ethanol in that I do not store it long term and expect it to be good bbut no different than the fuel back in the 80's that caused Yamaha to come up with a carb cleaner because it went bad so frequently. What is old is new once again.

Other than that I just know that there will be a little less power than most will not notice and a bit less fuel economy which was never a factor in buying a Ducati that I know of. Yes if you were jetted for pre ethanol fuel you MAY need to re-jet, unless you check (which most wont) you would usually not know.

I don't race because I am (slow) and too lazy to care to run a special fuel you have to buy after traveling out of my way. Simply learn how to store the fuel we have and as always make sure the bike is jetted properly. Then ride your bike anywhere you want with no worries.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My anecdotal experience is pretty meaningless, scientifically, but I always put a splash of Seafoam in my tank. I have a source for non-ethanol gas that is literally the closest station to my house, so I mostly run the good stuff and I keep non-ethanol in it for longer term storage.
I can say, though, that I've neglected my carbs a bit and I think it runs and starts better this year compared to last year, so I have no reason to do anything different.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Note test being 4-5 years old, though not stipulated, they no doubt used the old, original red Stabil. The newer blend 360 much more potent and effective, IMHO and experience.
On the topic of discolored StaBil, and their Marine 360, this is quoted directly from the StaBil Marine 360 FAQ webpage ....

"My bottle has turned a brown color - is it still ok to use?

Yes, it is normal for the dye of the liquid to change color and this is no indication of the product’s efficiency."

LINK TO PAGE = https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine/

That is an FAQ page, so scroll down to the question "My bottle has turned a brown color - is it still ok to use?"

Looks like good stuff (the 360 Marine). It's come highly recommended to me from a trusted source.

However, having personally seen hundreds of ~FAILS~ with the RED StaBil I cannot recommend the red stuffs use with a clear conscience. The new green colored Marine 360 seems to be a much better additive.

:confused: On another note, has anyone used any of the Lucas fuel products? :confused:

:wink2:

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I wasn’t pleased with the old Stabil and Amal carbs on Triumphs. I use SeaFoam because it seems to work and is available everywhere. I use the new Stabil in the winter with SeaFoam in my mowers etc. I drain the bikes after running SeaFoam through the carbs or injection.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's not just the crappy gas that turns to shit in two weeks, it's also all the stuff that the gas affects. The ethanol has a deleterious affect on everything it touches. A case in point is my rarely ridden '94 Bimota DB2. Essentially a 900ss with a fancy frame and bodywork, I was having to clean the pilots about every Thursday, which is not an easy job since the single pc front fairing must be removed to get to them. The jets and tank were clean, but it still plugged up.

Long story short, I finally replaced all the fuel lines, the filter (OK why I didn't do this before is a mystery) and had a buddy ultrasonically clean the carbs - then new jets etc. The bike now runs fine and for more than a week - and only no E gas going forward. In retrospect, I think it was disintegrating fuel lines and the old filter.

May my laziness and stupidity be a lesson here.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts