Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum but could find much.

Which is better for my 2007 1098? I hear some people say, 90 is too low, it requires premium so use 93. some people say always avoid ethanol in bikes, go with the 90. Somewhere i read 95 is the minimum by ducati but that is equal to 90-91 in US octane. so I have no idea what do use?!?!?!?!?

Thanks is advance everyone!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,218 Posts
I would use the ethanol-free 90 and if the engine knocks, change to the 93.

We have ethanol-free 91 here and I use it without trouble in both of mine.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
You won’t hurt anything trying both to compare, if gas tank is not already ruined from ethanol. Assuming you have the acerbis tank and not the aluminum. If it ran fine on the 90 efree, that is what I would use.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If you don’t run ethanol free fuel with a plastic tank it’s going to swell. My S4RS runs fine on it, better than ethanol laced premium.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't own a 1098, but do own other Ducati superbikes. If possible I always use ethanol-free premium (91 here). Even though all of them have metal tanks I try to avoid ethanol fuel unless I know I am going to be riding out the tank and filling up with ethanol-free at the end of the day. Luckily a station close to my house has it.

Years ago on my 851, 999, and later Aprilia RSV1000 I also tried 89 octane and even 87 octane just to see the differences. Just my unscientific seat of the pants but I could not tell a difference in street riding between premium and 89 octane. The Mille actually got the best gas mileage (long 100 mile highway commute) using 87 octane if you can believe it.

The other thing is the way octane is measured and listed in the Ducati manuals. At least my older bikes listed 95 RON (the euro way of designating it). The US method is (RON+MON)/2 which usually results in a nominal octane rating a couple of points lower.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Would adding an octane booster to the ethanol-free 90 be the similar to using 93? or are they just a waste of money?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was told the correct octane is more important than eth vs non eth. Engines are designed to run on a certain octane anything less or more is not optimal.

This advice came from a pretty well know engine builder and tuner.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I was told the correct octane is more important than eth vs non eth. Engines are designed to run on a certain octane anything less or more is not optimal.

This advice came from a pretty well know engine builder and tuner.
Maybe that’s true when he builds an engine, but a production engine is built to run on the fuel that is normally available. Moreover, if the engine will produce the horsepower it was designed for on lower octane fuel the engine designers are very happy.

·
comrade moderator
27,159 Posts
Non ethanol if you can (theres a noticible difference in how well the bike will run) and the lowest octane you can. More is not better...or necessary.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Personally I'd run 90 non-oxy ove93 with ethanol. In looking at tradeoffs it is important to understand the risks, returns and probabilities.

With respect to using ethanol gas in a plastic tank 1098, AFAIK this will over time lead to tank swelling. Not, might lead to, will lead to. Using ethanol gas pretty much guarantees you'll have a tank problem.

With respect to using lower octane gas than is recommended, the risk is getting detonation which can destroy an engine. The way detonation works is it occurs when an engine is stressed and/or at high temperature. On normally aspirated engines. It less likely to occur at higher altitudes where there is less oxygen to mix with gasoline. Personally I don't regularly run my 1098 hard enough to worry much about detonation. Frankly the 1098 is powerful enough that I doubt there are many people who run their 1098s hard enough on the street to worry much about detonation when using 90 octane gas.

One problem results in a certain negative. The other problem results in a possible negative with significant consequence, but that is pretty much the same situation with motorcycling as an activity and I'm still riding.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I come from having two Sport Classics which has the dreaded plastic tanks that are well known for swelling. So far I've been lucky with both tanks and have not had this problem......yet. But, I never put in any ethanol gas unless like someone else said, I know that I will ride it out that day.

One thing you could do if you think you don't have enough octane is mix both the 95 and the 90. It would still have ethanol unfortunately, but only half as much. This would give you an octane rating of basically 92.5.

I always thought this was a little overkill but my dad does this with his AMG to get the correct octane for his engine which I think is 91. he puts half 89 and half 93. Yes, he has OCD!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts