Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2012 Multi S - any chance I could power my espresso machine of the bike somehow? It uses standard power, the draw is minimal, smaller enough to fit in either of the Panniers.

TIA

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If it runs on on 110VAC, you'd need an inverter. Possible to do, but inverters are only about 80% efficient. It just depends on whether or not your battery is able to produce the required wattage allowing for the 20% power loss through the inverter (your alternator alone cannot). There are a number of 12/24VDC espresso makers designed for car/RV/boat use on the market... they're small and use very little wattage compared to your typical 1200-1500W home appliance. Generally appliances are designed to utilize at least 80% of the maximum power available... your home circuits provide 115V x 15A = 1725W, most high-draw (heater or motor) appliances will be rated at 1500W or so. You could pull this much power out of your battery for short periods, especially if the bike is running, but you'd need to ensure that you have appropriately heavy-duty wiring to do so... 1500W / 12V / 0.8 = 156A! Think battery cable sized wiring, not sure how your battery would like this.

These look pretty neat, and the draw is only 140W. As they're native DC devices, no power loss and no inverter required:

https://www.amazon.com/Handpresso-Auto-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0091QPHJI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519322405&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=handpresso&psc=1

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay sounds like it wont work that easily. Ill take the machine along for our trips where we'll primarily be staying in hotels. I do have a portable one for camping with a burner similarly to the one above however it doesnt produce the crema that espresso should have :)

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have one all ready.. does not produce the crema thats required with proper espresso :)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Proper Espresso needs high temp and pressure.

That crock pot thing is a joke. It makes good coffee but certainly NOT espresso.

And you're gonna use beans that were ground a few days ago??? no bueno my friend.

For the best coffee use a french press. all u need is fresh ground beans and boiling water.

French press is the best coffee you can make.

Espresso is a whole other animal.

Btw; why u want to make espresso? You don't like starbucks? lol

Reactions: t-bills

·
Smut peddler
1,140 Posts
If this thread was made in the hyper forum, the collective would have pitchforks and torches outside your house, demanding you give up the bike.

At least the gen 1 guys would. I think the gen 2 guys have a "which panty liners is most comfortable to ride with" thread. They're the next crop of water cooled multi owners... :)

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
For the best coffee use a french press. all u need is fresh ground beans and boiling water.

French press is the best coffee you can make.

Espresso is a whole other animal.
I'm a big fan of Americano... but if you're talking 'regular' coffee then IMO the best you can get is pour over... followed by percolated... I've tried to like french press but it's never tasted anything but watery to me no matter what shop I've gotten it from... here or in Europe... or even making it myself - maybe just bad luck on my part but I've definitely TRIED.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
If this thread was made in the hyper forum, the collective would have pitchforks and torches outside your house, demanding you give up the bike.

At least the gen 1 guys would. I think the gen 2 guys have a "which panty liners is most comfortable to ride with" thread. They're the next crop of water cooled multi owners... :)
Don't the hyper guys just chew the beans directly?

Reactions: kdehkordi

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Nah, those guys already have threads on where to mount the cup-holder. Of course, their cup-holders are gimbaled so their joe don't spill ridin' dem' wheelies!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm a big fan of Americano... but if you're talking 'regular' coffee then IMO the best you can get is pour over... followed by percolated... I've tried to like french press but it's never tasted anything but watery to me no matter what shop I've gotten it from... here or in Europe... or even making it myself - maybe just bad luck on my part but I've definitely TRIED.
Respect!

When it comes to coffee there are three things you can control; grind size, temp and time for brew.

With the Frenchy you can control all 3. Pour over/percolated the brew time is not in your control.

Now that assumes you having "control" is a good thing. >:)

I've tried as well. Some better than others, but the challenge is fun. Now throw in some fresh beans vs old dried beans and you need to change the grind size and brew time to compensate. Don't ask me which way.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
You're really provoking me. Coffee is my other obsession.

The older the coffee, the finer the grind.

French press is better than some, but dirty. You can totally control the brew time on a pour over by the grind size. Or get a clever dripper.

For coffee while traveling on the bike, I take an aeropress. They are compact and make great coffee. Clean up is easy. I use a Porlex grinder and a dragonfly stove.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Respect!

When it comes to coffee there are three things you can control; grind size, temp and time for brew.

With the Frenchy you can control all 3. Pour over/percolated the brew time is not in your control.

Now that assumes you having "control" is a good thing. >:)

I've tried as well. Some better than others, but the challenge is fun. Now throw in some fresh beans vs old dried beans and you need to change the grind size and brew time to compensate. Don't ask me which way.
I always get fresh beans... even for the morning drip (which at home is just too easy when I'm half awake). I've never gotten the amazing flavor of Americano... IMO it's as close as I can get to getting coffee that tastes as good as fresh ground smells, but people keep telling me press is the way to go for non-espresso style coffee, but I've had no luck. I bought two different presses... the classical glass press and one that is insulated. I was thinking maybe it was cooling down too quickly in glass. I've tried different waits and different grinds. One thing I have not tried is cooler water... one site said the water should be 175 but cooler water and more flavor just seem counter-intuitive to me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
For coffee while traveling on the bike, I take an aeropress. They are compact and make great coffee. Clean up is easy. I use a Porlex grinder and a dragonfly stove.
Aeropress and Porlex grinder combo for me as well. Make the same coffee at home as you do on the road and at camp.

Sure, not "Espresso", but still mighty fine coffee, in my opinion, and a darn sight cheaper than buying cafe coffee.

·
Registered
334 Posts
One thing I have not tried is cooler water... one site said the water should be 175 but cooler water and more flavor just seem counter-intuitive to me.
Cooler water and slightly longer brew time equals the same strength as hotter water and shorter brew time, but less acidity. Hence all the raving over cold press... leaving grinds sit in room temperature water overnight and the like.

I struggled with it until I tried it, but it works for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts