Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced an erratic speedo, and if so, what was the diagnostic?

seems mine had a bit too much to drink last night, (either that or someone poured whiskey in my coffee this morning) because from the read I did a 35mph to 160mph jump in 1 second on Pico boulevard this morning..

upon turning the bike on, it resets fine, but when I go it just oscillates all over the place. So my hunch is that it's the sensor. I check it, but since it's a small plastic knob there's nothing that can be seen as a reason for malfunction...

just curious if you had a similar issue...

thanks...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the same problem. I called the dealer and they ordered a completely new speedo/tach unit, installed it, and the problem persisted. If I recall it turned out to be some wire that was too close to the Termi that melted and shorted out or something like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the exact same problem for about a year now.My dealer has replace without any luck the pickup, speedometer assembly, ECM and voltage regulator. We're now waiting for a new wiring harness. Any more parts thrown at this and Ducati might as well give me a new bike.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DemmBonz: wow, your dealer didn't troubleshoot the sensor first? that's way easier than replacing the whole thing...

Glad to hear that was it, though. I'm thinking that's what it may be here too but I can't trouble shoot since PI has to order the part etc... so I'll try to do it if I can get my hands on another SC... otherwise it will be taken care of next week, hopefully...

thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nah actually I told them about the problem and they ordered a new speedo assembly sight unseen, which I thought was cool at the time but wasn't the problem so I had to drop it off again and have it diagnosed anyway. This was all done while still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
A few weeks after I got my '07 GT, my tach developed a similar problem. The dealer said earlier models had a wiring harness that was a tad too short so the wires sometimes got stretched to the point where connectivity was lost. They replaced mine under warranty and 2 months\1500 miles later, still works great.

·
Registered
2010 Hyper
153 Posts
Can someone point me to where the speedo sensor is? My bike says it is doing 90 right now, and every time I turn the key off and on it is a crap shoot in where the needle will stop. I took apart the gauge cluster and the needle is firmly seated to the servo motor.

·
Registered
642 Posts
stlouisrider -Look for the wire on the rear brake caliper bracket.

DGJ - your bike is just excited to be back on the road.

OK.How about just a loose connection since your bike has been through a major repair? Or, steal LA-Duc's sensor while he is not looking.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My speedo fixed itself long ago. I think when I replaced the front blinkers and took the light off, I put too much pressure on the connection with the cluster. So now it's fixed

If your speed keeps acting weird, just trace the wire from the sensor at the rear wheel all the way to the connector under the seat and unplug it. Because is it shows he higher speed you're also logging higher mileage. Unplugging the sensor is illegal but not detrimental to the bike. Just the engine light comes on. Not to worry tho. ;)

BPRacer: this post was from last summer... the trouble hasn't shown up since and I haven't replaced any parts...

Cheers! .

·
Registered
985 Posts
The rear disc brake bolts haven't been recently replaced, have they? Say, with titanium? These are what the speedo sensor "reads". They must be made of steel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts