Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently sat on a Streetfighter 848 and noticed my knees would lie against the tank where it curves near the trellis frame. Is this normal for you guys, or do I just have too long of some legs? Is this bothersome for some of you?

Thank you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't have that issue, I am 5'10 with a 33" inseam.

I find the ergos much more comfortable on the SF than I did on my R6, or the 848EVO.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You probably sat too close to the tank. Let 6 inches between your nuts and tank, and your knees will be at the good place.

·
Hammer Down
1,712 Posts
I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and my knees tuck in behind the said curve. I have noticed that I must have an issue sitting squarely on the seat though as my left knee is closer than my right to that area.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
6' 2", 34" inseam here...I ride with the "boys" up against the tank with my knees gripping the frame just below the front third of the tank. With my wider/higher than stock bars it feels just right.

·
Registered
237 Posts
6' 2", 34" inseam here...I ride with the "boys" up against the tank with my knees gripping the frame just below the front third of the tank. With my wider/higher than stock bars it feels just right.
I'm about the same build, and the insides of my knees/thighs hit that curved piece. If you scoot your butt back and get on your toes, the knees should fit snuggly inside the grooves for an aerodynamic racing feel. Kinda crazy that they designed it like that :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been riding with the SF848 a total of 6500km the last two weeks. Went to WDW2012 and back... on the back trip I took my girlfriend on the back, too!

I must say it's quite a difficult bike to sit on, for more than 150km. Not that it's super easy for shorter trips either. I'm coming from a 1000DS Multistrada, and although I've been driving 500-600km days on the SF848, it's more about getting to the destination rather than enjoying the touring.

Perhaps this model is oriented for track-days only? Any accessories that could help on touring with it? I've installed the Ducati performance windscreen which DID help on the highway parts, I must say.

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
I've been riding with the SF848 a total of 6500km the last two weeks. Went to WDW2012 and back... on the back trip I took my girlfriend on the back, too!

I must say it's quite a difficult bike to sit on, for more than 150km. Not that it's super easy for shorter trips either. I'm coming from a 1000DS Multistrada, and although I've been driving 500-600km days on the SF848, it's more about getting to the destination rather than enjoying the touring.

Perhaps this model is oriented for track-days only? Any accessories that could help on touring with it? I've installed the Ducati performance windscreen which DID help on the highway parts, I must say.
6500 km in the last 2 weeks?
Wow..

When we went to Deals Gap there were Sport bikes parked and the riders were laying on the ground fixing their backs...
Lots of fun riding BUT comfort level is not there...

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts

On my 1098, the seat was terrible because you slid forward into the tank. I tried the comfort seat, but it added too much height. I ended up with a Sargent seat, and it works well. I don't know what the bars are like on the 848, but I replaced mine with Renthal 814 bend ones. I'm very comfortable now.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Softer seat + Higher bars and the bike is as comfortable as any unfaired bike.

Of course, I'm coming from an R1 not a Multi........:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is strange but something as small as the tank design has been really killing me, so much that I've pretty much decided on not buying the bike. I'm going to go check out the Tuonos soon.

·
Temporary greeter
23,084 Posts
It is strange but something as small as the tank design has been really killing me, so much that I've pretty much decided on not buying the bike. I'm going to go check out the Tuonos soon.
I don't understand your problem. The tank cutouts are made so you can hug the tank with your legs. Are you saying your knees are beyond this area? Are you built like Malvert or something? :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't understand your problem. The tank cutouts are made so you can hug the tank with your legs. Are you saying your knees are beyond this area? Are you built like Malvert or something? :confused:
I'm about the same build, and the insides of my knees/thighs hit that curved piece. If you scoot your butt back and get on your toes, the knees should fit snuggly inside the grooves for an aerodynamic racing feel. Kinda crazy that they designed it like that :cool:
34" inseam here too. Cutouts are just too short.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I figured out that since they used the (more or less) same tank as 1098, but with foot pegs are lower, it moves your knees off the tank (on 1098 SF anyway).

·
Registered
107 Posts
On my 1098, the seat was terrible because you slid forward into the tank. I tried the comfort seat, but it added too much height. I ended up with a Sargent seat, and it works well. I don't know what the bars are like on the 848, but I replaced mine with Renthal 814 bend ones. I'm very comfortable now.
Did you have to replace clutch or brake lines to accommodate the Renthal bar?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have the same bar and the stock lines work nicely as long as you move them outside the confines of the dash.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
The throttle cables have to be routed out the side of the headlight pod instead of the top.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts