Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you install a performance EPROM chip, is a Power Commander a waste of time & money? The performance EPROM chip is less than 1/2 the price of the Power Commander.

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts
Depends on the chip..

What bike and chip are we tallking about?

//amullo

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you install a performance EPROM chip, is a Power Commander a waste of time & money? The performance EPROM chip is less than 1/2 the price of the Power Commander.
It depends on just how much you want to spend and the amount of perfection you need in your bike. For many the chip is a great product if it can be mapped. If not then is a crap shoot at best. Some will swear that a chip is perfect for them and rightly so.

While others will purchase a chip and a PCIII and have the bike mapped with a dyno.
This is a great way to get the most if not every bit of power and smoothness in throttle control from your bike. Going fast is all about being smooth.

·
Registered
185 Posts
it looks like eprom #965029aaa is still available and is about $70 from ducati. tuned properly this is probly all youll need on that bike.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have had the same question on my mind... I just installed an FIM UM-171 eprom on my 996 SPS (2000 model year with 54mm full Arrow system). i had a previous stalling issue when I blipped the throttle quickly - although not too often and some hesitation and backfiring.

The eprom cured most of this but I have a lingering issue between 4200-6000 rpm- some hesitation and very mild backfiring- kinda like rolling off throttle but i'm maintaining throttle position ... she'll surge a bit too.

Does this necessitate a need for a dynotune....PC or something else? I'm not sure if swapping an eprom requires a re-tune or not...

ANY help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I've become a believer in a power commander with a custom map afer my experience. For whatever reason the DP ECU on my bike (with full termis) wasn't able to go rich enough at part throttle at lower revs so wasn't optimal. A power commander with a custom map has made an amazing difference it is like a different bike now especially at lower revs, the ability to get on the gas early is phenomenal. Not the cheap solution but a good one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
These bikes were a mystery to me. My best friend and I have the exact same bike. A 1997 748's with full 50mm termi systems. Same DP chip, no air box mods, Mine was too lean all over the place and his is too rich. What was the variable? Air filters, plugs, wires, belt tensions, cam degreeing, squish tolerances etc...

After a full proper tune up and "resetting" of all things mechanical and electrical to spec they were both way better. Point is, cross all the T's and dot all the I's before getting too much past the basics.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have had the same question on my mind... I just installed an FIM UM-171 eprom on my 996 SPS (2000 model year with 54mm full Arrow system). i had a previous stalling issue when I blipped the throttle quickly - although not too often and some hesitation and backfiring.

The eprom cured most of this but I have a lingering issue between 4200-6000 rpm- some hesitation and very mild backfiring- kinda like rolling off throttle but i'm maintaining throttle position ... she'll surge a bit too.

Does this necessitate a need for a dynotune....PC or something else? I'm not sure if swapping an eprom requires a re-tune or not...

Sounds like a good indication of a lean mixture. Making sure the TB's are sync'd and mixture correct is a good place to start.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=57491

Like Project 853 stated "After a full proper tune up and "resetting" of all things mechanical and electrical to spec they were both way better. Point is, cross all the T's and dot all the I's before getting too much past the basics".

·
Registered
273 Posts
I work for a ducati dealership and also run the dynojet dyno. I have found that there is plenty to be gained through tuning with PC3 and tuning link program.Both cyl's should be tuned seperatly for optimum performance etc.
The co trim, or trim pot in ecu may have been different on each bike resulting in different tune.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts

A Dyno map will take care of your issue.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Should I send my baby to a Dealer for this? ( I try to stay away from them unless it's absolutely necessary), Or could someone recommend a place in So Cal area ( L.A/ O.C) . Thanks mucho:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vance&Hines chip

hey everyone, quick question. Recently purchased a set of Vance&Hines slip on mufflers for my 1998 748 biposta and I was wondering what i should do about a chip because it seems to be hard to find one for this specific muffler.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You could go to a ducati workshop like Brad Black (www.bikeboy.org) and he should be able to sort you out with an EPROM to suit, either one that's ready to go like a FIM or burn one for you. I wouldn't go to a Ducati dealer as they may not even know what a 748 is, let alone what an "EPROM" is :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts