Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just recently (about two months ago now) became the happy owner of a 1999 900SS. Life was good until last night, when I can down to the parking garage to go home from work, and there was literally gallons of gasoline in a puddle underneath my bike!

I ran over, inspected the bike top to bottom, decided that fuel was just coming from the overflow tube and nowhere else, so I quickly put the end of the tube in a can.

Fuel is coming out of the overflow at about a rate I'd say of a pint an hour. The tank was full earlier that day, and by the time I'd gotten there, was down to about half tank, and the time I'd given up, was down to about a 1/4 tank.

I thought maybe there was pressure in the tank, so I opened it up... no sounds of pressure escaping. For good measure, I tried disconnecting the bleed tube, but that still had no effect on the leak. Then I relaized that tilting the tank up stopped the overflow leak, but anytime you put it back down, it starts again.

Here's the events of what I did yesterday:
8am: Filled tank to filler neck at gas station
9am: Parked at work, in shade in parking garage, engine fully heated up
12pm: Came down to get wallet out of tank bag
7pm: Came down to go home, huge puddle of fuel, about 1/2 tank left
11pm: Gave up, around 1/4 tank left

I was supposed to go on a trip tomorrow with this bike, so any quick help/suggesstions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know!

Fuel is coming out of the hose that runs along the frame down the back side of the engine (next to the clutch slave cylinder I believe), and then exits in a gap in the fairing just in front of the rear tire.

I traced it back up into the tank, and the diagram says "drainage". That is the overflow tube, right?

Any ideas what could possibly be going on?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've never had it happen but... the overflow tube could have came loose inside the tank or split open.... I would remove the filler assembly and check if the overflow is connected or maybe the tube inside the tank is split open and needs replacing.. A quick fix would be to tilt the tank up and disconnect the overflow, cap it off until you can get inside the tank and see whats up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi all,
I just recently (about two months ago now) became the happy owner of a 1999 900SS. Life was good until last night, when I can down to the parking garage to go home from work, and there was literally gallons of gasoline in a puddle underneath my bike!

I ran over, inspected the bike top to bottom, decided that fuel was just coming from the overflow tube and nowhere else, so I quickly put the end of the tube in a can.

Fuel is coming out of the overflow at about a rate I'd say of a pint an hour. The tank was full earlier that day, and by the time I'd gotten there, was down to about half tank, and the time I'd given up, was down to about a 1/4 tank.

I thought maybe there was pressure in the tank, so I opened it up... no sounds of pressure escaping. For good measure, I tried disconnecting the bleed tube, but that still had no effect on the leak. Then I relaized that tilting the tank up stopped the overflow leak, but anytime you put it back down, it starts again.

Here's the events of what I did yesterday:
8am: Filled tank to filler neck at gas station
9am: Parked at work, in shade in parking garage, engine fully heated up
12pm: Came down to get wallet out of tank bag
7pm: Came down to go home, huge puddle of fuel, about 1/2 tank left
11pm: Gave up, around 1/4 tank left

I was supposed to go on a trip tomorrow with this bike, so any quick help/suggesstions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!
The overflow hose probably came loose from the filler neck and fell to the bottom of the tank. The resulting siphon effect is draining the tank.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Last two Posts sound correct. The line you are having trouble with is the drain line that is designed to drain gas or water that makes it onto the top of the filler. There is tubing from the depressed hole on top of filler ring thru the tank to the connection at the back of tank. The vent is the raised hole and that goes to the charcoal canister for evaporative recovery. If you need to go on your trip you could if you can posititively block hose until you can repair hose in tank. You will want to check all hoses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last two Posts sound correct. The line you are having trouble with is the drain line that is designed to drain gas or water that makes it onto the top of the filler. There is tubing from the depressed hole on top of filler ring thru the tank to the connection at the back of tank. The vent is the raised hole and that goes to the charcoal canister for evaporative recovery. If you need to go on your trip you could if you can posititively block hose until you can repair hose in tank. You will want to check all hoses.
Yup, you guys are corect. I opened up the tank, and sure enough, the overflow tube had become unhooked and was siphoning gas from the tank.
It must've happened when I filled up (silly design on Ducati's part if you ask me :rolleyes:).
Anyway, hooked the tube back up, and no more leaks!
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
735 Posts
tank drained by loose overflow hose

I have had this happen to me. The hose takes a set having been pushed onto the nib under the gas cap opening. Merely pushing the hose back on does not keep it there, the end of the hose is enlarged and hardened over time. Either cut off a piece to get to fresh diameter, or install a hose clamp to keep it in place.

chow,
Fred

·
Registered
570 Posts
Had the same problem with my '99 this week. Got it fixed about 2 hours ago. On mine, the hose split and broke right where it connects to the filler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts