Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First I would like to say that I hope everyone and their loved ones are staying safe during these trying times! Looking for some insight and I figured why not get onto a Ducati forum. Currently riding an ‘18 Street Triple 765, but for sometime now I have been eyeing a Hypermotard. I’ve always been a fan of 939 generation, but the 950 keeps growing on me. Basically just looking for some insight on both gens, as well as looking to see If anyone out there has gone from a Triumph to a hyper (or owns both). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I bought the 939SP. They have always caught my eye and I don't like the looks of the 950. Plus, the 939 generation is able to use the SWMotech Blaze saddlebags and specific mount, something that I already had as far as the bags go so I only had to buy the mount. In contrast, the 950 can use the SWMotech Tankbag mount that I also like to use. However, the shape of the tank does not lend itself well to using it. So when I had to chose, based on luggage alone, the saddlebags won over the tankbag, but that wasn't my only criteria to choosing which model.

Though I'm extremely happy with my 939SP and wouldn't change a thing.

Dave

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hi Barry,
It's fair to say that Ducati life is very rewarding and satisfying, but does require a little more commitment than most other makes. I've owned nothing but Ducatis since 2002 and really am not interested in anything else - read into that what you will.
The later 950 will be somewhat less demanding on your time and wallet, but I'm a total fan of the 1100, which is just a total giggle-fest any time I ride it.
They are distinctive bikes and I can't really emphasize how important it is you get a good test-ride on both before deciding (and maybe a Monster 1100).
Good luck and I hope you do the right thing and join the family.

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 SP
52 Posts
Hello all,

First I would like to say that I hope everyone and their loved ones are staying safe during these trying times! Looking for some insight and I figured why not get onto a Ducati forum. Currently riding an ‘18 Street Triple 765, but for sometime now I have been eyeing a Hypermotard. I’ve always been a fan of 939 generation, but the 950 keeps growing on me. Basically just looking for some insight on both gens, as well as looking to see If anyone out there has gone from a Triumph to a hyper (or owns both). Thanks in advance!
I currently have a 2010 Triumph Daytona 675 and a 2016 Hyper 939 SP, so I know the Daytona isn't quite the same position as the Striple, but from a fun factor perspective, the Hyper puts a smile from ear to ear every time I'm on it. It certainly has its quirks and frustrations, but they're all forgotten as soon as I hit a corner or crack the throttle. My Daytona is tuned and has been heavily upgraded; its never faulted me with reliability or performance, but I think the predictability of it is somehow is the thing that makes me find myself riding the Hyper more often these days. The Hyper's torque is a big reason for the fun as well; it doesn't necessarily look fast, but it pulls extremely hard, and allows for the front end to get light extremely easy. The Triumph, however, always stays planted so it's a speed rocket and is light in corners. Due to the ride height of the Hyper, I feel I can drop into a corner easier and actually corner quicker (this might just be an illusion). Just my opinions 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
202 Posts
I’m in the same boat. I just sold my 675 Street Triple yesterday to finally fulfill my Hypermotard dreams. I’ve drooled over one for years and am excited to finally make it happen. I’m looking at the 950 standard. SP looks rad but every review I’ve read says the standard is better suited for the street.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hi Barry, I don't exactly fit your profile but I owned a Speed Triple for a few years and am moving on a '08 1100 HM as we speak. Absolutely loved the S3 experience, the engine is just fantastic and the suspension/frame is well setup for many uses. Had no issues with the bike other than a minor oil leak and broken clutch cable and it was my DD for over 2 years. I rented a '08 1100 HM from a person locally 2 weekends ago and was hooked. I have many years of dirt bike experience and the HM felt like home. I logged 120 miles that day and it was all smiles. I know the newer bikes bring lots of good advancements but I am a more analog person and the character and vibe of the 1100 bike appeals more to me. Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally adore the trellis sub frame on the 950 versus the aluminum whatever is going on with the 939.

Between all of the generations I dont really think anyone can say one is "better" than the others. I think it comes down to what you want as far as aesthetics, rider aids, price etc. I dont think you're going to go wrong with anything you choose.

Motorcycling is amazing. I just picked up a Hyper 950 and my original decision making was between the hyper and the 2020 Street triple RS. I rode both and couldn't really make up my mind. I ended up basically closing my eyes and picking the hyper. I'm still lusting after the triple and will own one eventually. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts