Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am longtime sportbike enthusiast and I am looking at purchasing a Ducati to add to the collection. I am looking at a 1999 996 biposto with 7000kms and was a single owner bike. Bike is being offered by a Ducati dealer and has all the recommended service done at the right intervals. It is pretty much stock except for some nice carbon pieces (clutch cover, intake, etc) and a carbon Termingoni exhaust. The bike looks mint and well taken care of. I will be intending to use the bike for some weekend fun. No long trips, just some back road carving and maybe the odd track day.

I have read alot of reviews on the bike, but most are back in 1999 or 2000.

I am looking for some comments the some current 996 owners on this forum have regarding their bike. Please be honest. Anything I should be looking for in buying this used bike?

I know how helpful these type of forums are and look for to all the comments and advice.

Thanks

Andy

I love the style of the 916/996/998 and was a big fan of the Foggy Superbike days.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you have documented proof of its past history, including all scheduled maintenance, and the bike is being offered by a reputable dealership, I think you already have your answer. I would make sure belts have been done at some point, though (or have them done soon after purchase). They aren't due until 12,000 miles/20,000km, but should probably be changed every two or three years regardless of mileage. Since you are well under the recommended mileage for replacement, it is possible the previous owner didn't change them yet. And if so, you have 7 year old rubber keeping your motor in one piece. Otherwise, just go for it. If it's the bike you've always secretly yearned for, nobody here is going to talk you out of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts