Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose it began one October morning in 2011 when I arrived at the Connecticut home of an interesting man who previously worked for Ferrari and whose current gig was with McLaren Automotive. Family life and commuting back and forth to London left him little time to ride, but the bike was in very nice shape and documentation was thorough, to say the least.

I took possession of the bike, equipped with Dymag carbon fiber swingarm and wheels and a host of other, less exotic upgrades.

Loaded up and pointed toward Chicago.

Several weren't to my taste. The gaudy gold levers and black double-bubble screen would be the first to go. And the stickers on the front? Mmmm...no.

Stripped down and ready to get to work.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So where have I gone with it?

First thing's first...
Brembo RCS radial master cylinders replaced the gold-levered stockers.
Front fairing and dark windscreen were dumped for one with a painted number plate and OEM windscreen. Then a vented CF fender for good measure.
And the three-spoke CF Dymags were sold and replaced with BST five-spokes.
Depending on mood or function, I often run magnesium Marchesini five-spokes that just look so right.
I originally replaced the stock Ohlins front with some magnesium triples and FG7700 Superbike forks with billet calipers, but honestly, the newer R&T's with upgraded superbike internals performs as well or better, for less money. Eventually, that's where I landed,with Nichols offset triples and original Brembo 4-pad calipers, which are tremendous in function and value.
My 996R was one of the 150/500 that were not numbered on the top triple anyway, so no loss with the Nichols there.

Getting serious now.

The stock Ohlins shock was replaced with an old school ribbed reservoir Ohlins DU7290 shock to go with the corse-length Dymag CF swingarm (very rare) and magnesium eccentric hub.
A Renthal/AFAM 520 quick change sprocket carrier with 15/40 and DID ERV3 chain would eventually follow.

This is how it looked in the early stages, at the February 2012 Chicago Progressive International Motorcycle Show:

From a strictly cosmetic stance, even the BSTs can't beat the Mg Marchesinis.

I have since had the cams timed to stock spec and took the bike to Ducshop in Georgia to have them dyno tune the Microtec ECU.

Other modifications;

STM Evoluzione slipper clutch
STM titanium wire clutch cover
Woodcraft CFM billet rearsets

Upgraded floating piston kit for the Ohlins steering damper
Shorai lightweight battery
Carbon fiber headlight bucket
Factory matched red mirrors
Braketech full floating rotors
35mm bar risers
Front sprocket case saver

Plus little things like STM axle guards and whatever else I'm forgetting.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Calendar shoots and trackdays.

Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC1&2. Glad to switch back after Michelins.

Heading home after a good day.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Great bike. And I mean great. What offset have you settled on with the triples are there 2 lines I see showing on the fork tubes?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, that bike is one of a kind!
Thanks.

Great bike. And I mean great. What offset have you settled on with the triples are there 2 lines I see showing on the fork tubes?
30mm offset and I believe I have it set up with the second line dead even on the inner side of the triple. I'm not sure if the Road and Tracks are identical in length to either stock Ohlins as original to this bike, or stock Showa on base models.

How did the tune go? Any charts?
There was a problem with the rpm pickup, so no torque figures, but the A/F ratio was clean, and there's a pretty healthy and usable gain over the upper third of the rev range--and 131 hp on a dyno that's known to be fairly stingy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts