Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if a fault was detected by the ECU and illuminated the engine warning light, but then the fault was corrected would the light stay on or would it have to be reset by the dealer. The bike is a 2015 Multi S. The bike is going strong and I have ridden it just over 800 klm with the warning light on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that, as a matter of fact I just recently replaced the battery. The original Yuasa battery gave 5 years of service then just crapped itself. I found that voltage is no indication of a good battery, it showed 13.4 volts but could only make the starter relay click a few times.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same happened to me riding around Keystone SD. I noticed the light when I stopped for gas. I checked the oil and was fine. My 2015 Multi drinks it a little bit. Started it back up after taking a break and haven't seen it since. It was hot, low 90's, and we where cruising through the twisties around Mount Rushmore. It was running a little warmer then what I normally see but nothing to worry about. But it might have been on during that last half of a tank.
So, I did see an engine light. But it reset after a break and fueling up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was the last work, or incident before the fault showed up? Cheers
Most probably when I did the 30,000 klm service at first I set the cam timing up on the top dead center of the horizontal pot on the wrong stroke, tried starting it and it would not fire. Then set it up on the correct stroke TDC and it fired up straight away and has been running perfectly ever since, with the check engine light still on. I know there was no damage caused when on the wrong stroke because I manually turned the motor over several revolutions by hand and all was well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm not certain, but I believe that while you can't reset the service indicator on a '15 with Melcodiag, you should be able to read and clear error codes. Might be worth a shot?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not certain, but I believe that while you can't reset the service indicator on a '15 with Melcodiag, you should be able to read and clear error codes. Might be worth a shot?
All DVT (including '15) use the Magnetti Marelli Bosch ECU (instead of mitsubishi, IIRC), therefore Melcodiag and other tools from the pre-DVT models will not work.
I'm riding 140 miles tomorrow just to get an oil change done because I can't clear the maintenance light myself.

·
Registered
649 Posts
All DVT (including '15) use the Magnetti Marelli ECU (instead of mitsubishi, IIRC), therefore Melcodiag and other tools from the pre-DVT models will not work.
I'm riding 140 miles tomorrow just to get an oil change done because I can't clear the maintenance light myself.
I haven't relocated the post, but at least one person with a '15 supposedly was able to read and reset the error codes, but not the service light.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OP indicates engine light, not service indicator.
When my Multi engine light turned on recently I traced it to a loose negative terminal lead. As soon as I snugged it down the light went off and did not return. Seems like it is still indicating a problem that needs further investigation. I found a post here earlier on the most likely triggers (looked for it again but did not see....). Things that turn it on include TPS, O2 sensor, stuck exhaust gate, loose electrical connection, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, this weekend I will go through the electrical connections again, as part of the service I lubricated and checked the exhaust gate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All DVT (including '15) use the Magnetti Marelli ECU (instead of mitsubishi, IIRC), therefore Melcodiag and other tools from the pre-DVT models will not work.
Are you sure about this, mine has a Bosch ECU made in India

·
Registered
649 Posts
Again, according to a few folks, you can both read and reset error codes on the DVT models with Melcodiag.

If the error(s) don't clear after going over the wiring, I'd either spring for the cables or the dealer to find out what the issue is. It may be totally minor, or an indication of something worse to come. Hopefully just the former and not the latter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nearest Ducati dealer 500 klm away, the same ones who refused to reset the service warning lights because they did not do the work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts