Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the light flywheel or the performance cams? Also any feedback on the manufacturers of the various big bore/high comp. piston kits? Do these 2V motors respond well to head work? I think 100 horse at the wheel should be attainable while maintaining drivability. I've seen dyno numbers well into the 90's but no mention of the cams. It seems to me heat is probably the biggest obstacle.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
drewogatory said:
Has anyone tried the light flywheel or the performance cams? Also any feedback on the manufacturers of the various big bore/high comp. piston kits? Do these 2V motors respond well to head work? I think 100 horse at the wheel should be attainable while maintaining drivability. I've seen dyno numbers well into the 90's but no mention of the cams. It seems to me heat is probably the biggest obstacle.
pistal pistons, head work by Guy Martin (http://www.mbpducati.ca/can/shop/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=234), and i would think Guy could set you up with a set of cams.

have a look here, (http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/heads/heads.html) it will give you an idea of what you're getting into.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think $3500.00 heads(that's gotta be a PAIR,right?) is a little steep for me. I was thinking more along the lines of 1080,flywheel,cam combo. Maybe a little port work and/or big valves. I remember putting oversize titanium valves in a 4V Suzuki for alot less than 3 grand. I realize the dollar spent per hp gained increases exponentially once you start trying to squeeze out every last pony so I have reasonable expectations. I hope. :think:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm reviving this thread as I have a service due,and want to try the light flywheel. Now that I've lived with the bike awhile and started to figure it out a little I'm not so desperate for more power. But i would like it to be a little snappier,and i'm looking forward to a dyno tune.Any feedback.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody? No one has done any power upgrades past exhaust kit? See,that's worse for me because then I feel the test mule obligation weighing upon me. Someone tell me it's just a waste of money..just buy a zx1400..

·
Registered
173 Posts
drewogatory: No way. I say "go for it," and "be sure to post pics and impressions." BTW, thanks for volunteering. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Michael Lock did the lightened flywheel on his Multi DS 1000. The Motorcyclist report said that it made the engine really sensitive to the throttle. " It completely alters the engines behaviour. It makes the V -twin positively whippy"

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
i would guess that a good "first combo" to try on the 1000DS engine would be exhaust, intake, mapping and camtiming..

I know Brad Black in Autralia worked around those and got the engine to give more middle without killing the top end.

Some base runs to show everything "before"
Stock(green)
stock with open exhaust (Blue),
stock with open exhaust and open airfilterkit (red)
all runs with stock ECU
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/1000ds.html

Mods incl camtiming and fuelmap..
Green is stock
Blue is 111 cam timing and stock ECU.
Red is the U59 ECU with developed fuelmap and 111 cam timing.
All runs with Staintune mufflers and DP air filter kit.
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/1000dscam.html

Going bigbore or other cams will probably work well, but it´ll need some pretty hefty dynoing to get it to run good. I´d put my money in a lighter flywheel and timed cams and a Powercommander if i already had open exhaust and airfilter..

Camtiming is cheap compared to new cams and your still going to want a replacement ECU or Powercommander to get everything running correctly. So if you decide you need more power later (like big-bore or new cams/porting), all the necessary mapping hardware is already bought.

//amullo

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,dyno time is a necessary evil,obviously. Do the stock cam pulleys have an adjustment provision for cam degreeing, or is it a swap deal? I've seen them advertised but haven't paid too close attention. And is or is not the Termi ECU(which is pre o2 sensor Multi ECU,i've heard) progammable for ignition and fuel curves? There seems to be some disagreement over this..

·
Registered
99 Posts
drewogatory said:
Nobody? No one has done any power upgrades past exhaust kit? See,that's worse for me because then I feel the test mule obligation weighing upon me. Someone tell me it's just a waste of money..just buy a zx1400..
There's a guy on the Yahoo SportClassic Group that has a modified PS, to include a big bore kit. Look for postings by "ducatidave998s"

He's now running "1080" along with PCIII, Zard, Superbike brakes front & rear, black anodized front forks, etc...

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a SS1000 race bike, only mods have been Nichol's flywheel, STM slipper (lighter) clutch, and Corsa alternator (also lighter), along with pipe, airbox/BMC filter and Powercommander. It runs GREAT, very fast, revs nicely, I don't think it would be a problem to run the bike on the street. Definitely get the LW flywheel.

Building a full engine this winter, the heads are where most of the HP is locked up. MBP heads are supposed to be the best, but reputable places will port them for far less (BMC, Section8, Duc Pond Racing), etc.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
drewogatory said:
Well,dyno time is a necessary evil,obviously. Do the stock cam pulleys have an adjustment provision for cam degreeing, or is it a swap deal? I've seen them advertised but haven't paid too close attention. And is or is not the Termi ECU(which is pre o2 sensor Multi ECU,i've heard) progammable for ignition and fuel curves? There seems to be some disagreement over this..
Pretty sure they all have adjustable cam pulleys now, stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts