Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone who specializes in being able to get the most out of the Sport Classic motor. Things like porting and head work.

I have found someone in Sweden that looks exceptionally good, but would prefer someone in the US because of having to ship things back and forth.

I'm not interested in horsepower and mainly want a lot more torque.

Lechef had achieved torque readings of over 100/ft pounds and that is what I'm shooting for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fast by Ferracci is one - http://www.ferracci.com/

Horsepower is a function of torque. Their cams, big bore kit and headwork will give more power over the whole rev range. That's what I'm planning when I have the cash.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
try MBP in Canada. they work on heads and apparently their stuff is the business... they return them painted red, though. (I guess they have a thing for redheads....) but it's costly, and you have to send them your heads. I think CA-cycleworks is their rep in the US.

Otherwise, I can recommend West Coast GP cycles as a great shop to do mechanical upgrades and dyno work. They're on Pico and Barrington in West LA... if you're in the area.

I've just put the FBF high comp pistons in the engine and I'm getting the PCIII and full dyno this week, this should greatly improve the torque throughout the powerband, so I'll let you know the results when I get it back next week.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Horsepower is a function of torque.
Torque is torque. Horsepower is a function of torque and RPM.

I'm with wheelieman. I'm not into the Cruiser engines with buttloads of torque from 2000 - 4000 rpm, and then signing off, but I'd rather have an SC with 100 ft. lbs. of torque around 5000 - 6000 rpm than one that is making 120 hp at 9000 but only has 80 ft lbs. at 5000 - 6000. I'm not saying it's better, or faster at the track or strip (cause it isn't), but it's my preference because it's more powerful the way I use the engine every day.

That said, bigger bore and higher compression will certainly head wheelieman toward his torque goal. Heads are more likely to be all about horsepower, and cams will all depend on what cams.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Torque is torque. Horsepower is a function of torque and RPM.

I'm with wheelieman. I'm not into the Cruiser engines with buttloads of torque from 2000 - 4000 rpm, and then signing off, but I'd rather have an SC with 100 ft. lbs. of torque around 5000 - 6000 rpm than one that is making 120 hp at 9000 but only has 80 ft lbs. at 5000 - 6000. I'm not saying it's better, or faster at the track or strip (cause it isn't), but it's my preference because it's more powerful the way I use the engine every day.

That said, bigger bore and higher compression will certainly head wheelieman toward his torque goal. Heads are more likely to be all about horsepower, and cams will all depend on what cams.
That would be 100 Nm of torque, naturally.:think:
80 ft lbs. at 5000 - 6000 would be amazing and grandiose indeed.:D

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
That would be 100 Nm of torque, naturally.:think:
80 ft lbs. at 5000 - 6000 would be amazing and grandiose indeed.:D
yes, member le chef lives in sweden, they have the metric system,
and rate their torque values in Nm.
To correct Nm values into ft.lbs. ones, you have to multiply the Nm values by .74

100Nm of torque equals 74 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Horsepower is a function of torque and RPM.
Your absolutely right of course, and the implied desire when people say they want more torque is actually more horsepower at low / mid rpm.

Headwork creates more torque, but at higher RPM, which can be at the expense of low/mid range torque.

Extra capacity is likely to deliver more low/mid range torque, but if the engine can't breathe it won't increase torque at higher revs.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Since you're on the west coast, you could look up Ben Fox as well:

http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/

Guy Martin at MBP (noted above in an earlier post) is also well known for his work, though he is in Quebec Province, and getting your stuff to him might be an issue:

http://www.mbpducati.ca/

DucShop (also noted in an earlier post) has a great rep:

http://www.ducshop.com/

This is at least a start - be prepared to put your credit card on life support.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm looking for someone who specializes in being able to get the most out of the Sport Classic motor. Things like porting and head work.

I have found someone in Sweden that looks exceptionally good, but would prefer someone in the US because of having to ship things back and forth.

I'm not interested in horsepower and mainly want a lot more torque.

Lechef had achieved torque readings of over 100/ft pounds and that is what I'm shooting for.
Wheelieman, it's all a matter of what exactly you want.

A great street machine with 100 RWHP, and a real fat midrange of >70 ft Lbs around 5-6000 rpm requires a basic recipe that any half decent ducati shop can put together (big bore, HComp, DP cams, velocity stacks, PCIII, mild porting).

If you want 120 RWHP, you're into race-tuning, and you must have a particular reason why you want to stick to a 2 valve air-cooled engine. Such as racing in a particular class...
Your torque curve will be much more like a 4 valve Duc now, which is great for the track but takes away from the superb street talents of the 2valve ducati engine.
If you're not particularly looking for the racing thing, there is no need to send your bike to the other end of the continent. Me thinks.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
DucShop in Marietta, Georgia. Currently winning their class with a racing PS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts