Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a wonderful weekend with my bikes especially the SF. The more I drive the better I understand this -admittingly- not-too-easy-to-drive bike.
I have a question concerning engine temperature: When I got my bike in mid-may and was driving around, the engine temperature usually did not get over the third mark (dot) at the display. Only when I had to go thru town or stop at a traffic light it went to the fourth but came back quite quickly to the third once I left town. Now it's different: When the temperature has reached mark nr 4 on the display it stays there even when speeding up to 100 mph or more for a longe period of time. Is that normal? What is your experience? I also have the suspicion that the Motorex oil which was filled at 1st service is not a good oil.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Motorex is the recommended oil for KTM's from the factory. It is a high quality product.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
When my SF is fully warmed up the fourth bar on the readout is showing...when caught in stop and go traffic on a hot day it goes to the fifth bar...

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
Funny how we get actual air temperature... I can usually tell it's hot out since I'm covered in sweat, but when it comes to engine temps, we get an quazi idiot bar graph. I'd rather have an additional toggle on the gun site to call up engine temps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run in the fourth bar all day long, except in traffic, or on slow dirt roads, where it hits the fifth bar. I'm in Alaska, so you know it's cold enough outside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your replies. Itz a big relief to see that obviously everything is ok when temp stays at bar No. 4. We are also having a pretty hot summer over here which doesnt neccessarily help to cool down the engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Funny--I rode into work today thinking how incredibly easy the bike is to ride...

·
Registered
70 Posts
What's it like riding in Texas? Traffic friendly to bikes or just stay of the highways? Am potentially planning a move to Houston..

sorry to go off topic :D

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
It surprises me that they're going to put the 1098 motor in the next sport touring multistrada replacement. I'd never consider this with it's overheating in traffic, making it pretty worthless as a touring bike.

Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
What's it like riding in Texas? Traffic friendly to bikes or just stay of the highways? Am potentially planning a move to Houston..

sorry to go off topic :D
Havn't ridden in Houston, wait I take that back I rode through once it was raining.

In El Paso and Dallas they try to kill you. El Paso is the worst. Even though you can ride all year here not that many people do b/c people are regularly getting t-boned at intersections even though bikers are obeying the laws.

Hopefully houston is better!! It should be not as many Chihuahua plates that no speaky english or have insurance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've only got about 1000 miles on my bike but I have ridden in traffic several times with temps over 90 and my fan has only kicked on once. I was really surprised to see how well mannered, temperature wise, this bike is.

I've ridden quite a few liter bikes (twins and 4 cyl) that were much less tolerant to heat and traffic.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Mine def. runs hot, stuck in traffic I've come up to the next to the last bar, this was in mid 90s ambient temp.

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess mine is running hot too. 80 degree day I run four bars while moving 30 + miles an hour, but less than that and it's 5 bars. Sitting in traffic downtown Minneapolis brings me to 6 bars (one less than a full stack) I don't know if my fans have ever kicked in, are you supposed to hear them or is it a visual thing? I never looked but I didn't hear them either.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I guess mine is running hot too. 80 degree day I run four bars while moving 30 + miles an hour, but less than that and it's 5 bars. Sitting in traffic downtown Minneapolis brings me to 6 bars (one less than a full stack) I don't know if my fans have ever kicked in, are you supposed to hear them or is it a visual thing? I never looked but I didn't hear them either.

Mine has touched 6 bars creeping along in heavy midday traffic on an 85+ degree day...it was not happy at all...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts