Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I swapped out a blown engine on my buddy's 899 with a 959 engine a while back. It's had some issues since then. Engine swap itself was pretty straight forward. Only difference I noticed was that the gear position sensor was entirely different on the 959 motor. Connector was the same, so I was able to connect it, but it wouldn't indicate the correct gear going from 5th to 6th (displayed 5th in both 5th and 6th gear). That wasn't too big of an issue. But the bike's had a hard time starting ever since then. We would have to crank it several times and would be lucky if it started on the 5th or 6th time. We had an ECU/BBS/Dash set from the donor 959 so tried swapping those components, but it threw an "Unknown device" error and wouldn't crank. I have 2 questions that I'm hoping someone can chime in on:

1. How should I go about resolving the "unknown device" error? Keep in mind the bike still has 899 wiring harness.
2. What can potentially cause the bike the have a hard time starting?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Put it back as it was previously when it was running with the old dash gear indicator not working and see if it starts. Dash can’t be changed from bike to bike without recoding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put it back as it was previously when it was running with the old dash gear indicator not working and see if it starts. Dash can’t be changed from bike to bike without recoding.
Symptoms I'm describing are with old 899 elecrtonics. Bike doesn't crank at all with 959 electronics. I didn't just swap the dash over, I swapped dash/key/ignition/ECU/BBS, in which case no recoding needed

Turns out there were a few more error codes - ENG, GEAR, and Unknown Device (with 959 dash/ignition/key/ECU/BBS). Now I'm thinking it's the ENG error that's preventing the bike from starting, not the Unknown Device.

Really wanted to find ways to get around this without swapping the wiring harness from a 959 since it's a huge pain in the ass but I can only think of the harness being the issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I swapped out a blown engine on my buddy's 899 with a 959 engine a while back. It's had some issues since then.
Also interested if you solved the problem, as I'm looking to buy a 959 motor to keep as a spare for my 899. Also, what did you do with the secondary injectors the 959 had? Did you just remove them? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts