Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a blown 748 engine and am considering replacing the engine with a 996 engine or possibly a 848 engine, The bike is a 2001 748e. I'm looking for some input. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Super easy to do if your going with a 996 motor! Direct replacement. Only thing you'll need is a 996 chip, everthing else should work fine. You will need to confirm the engine bolt size though. when I did mine my 748 had a 10mm and the motor I bought was a 12mm so I just drilled the frame holes out. With a 848 or 1098 motor, it gets a little more indepth...but if your looking for a project, it can be done!

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
don't forget a new set of throttle bodies otherwise you will be restricted by the smaller 748 body. New gearing unless you are planning on stunting ;)
I would change to 525 chain and sprockets but that me.

Easy and good swap, did one last year and the customer loved it.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
don't forget a new set of throttle bodies otherwise you will be restricted by the smaller 748 body. New gearing unless you are planning on stunting ;)
I would change to 525 chain and sprockets but that me.

Easy and good swap, did one last year and the customer loved it.
Not true on the TB's from a 748 to 996....single inject to dual injector only difference...in fact I got more power out of my single injector 748 TB's (120 rwhp 76 ft.tq.) then I did the 996 so I went back and put the 748's back on the bike.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) the 996 dual injector tb's are 50mm's where the single injector 748 tb's are 45mm.

Edit: Having said that the 996 block in my cafe'd 748 has the original 748 tb's and is plenty quick and runs great, but then I have no real frame of reference since I bought it like that.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
The 916 SBK and 916/996 powered ST and Monster use a 46.5 MM bore (below the butterfly) single injector TB. The 996 SBK uses the same 46.5MM bore TB, but with dual injectors. The 748 TBs look like the 916/ST Monster version, but they have a smaller 44 MM bore. Note on the bore... The openings are all 50MM (I believe) and use the same diameter velocity stacks (length may be different), but the taper below the butterflies are NOT the same between the 748 and the others.

that being said, plenty written here and elsewhere regarding any benefit (or lack of it) provided by a larger TB. Like everything else, it seems there are other factors involved, including what your tuning goals may be.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
there is a problem when putting an older motor in a 2001. the 10mm bolt wont work because they are too short for some reason. put a 2000 853 motor in my 2001 748 and couldnt use the 12mm bolts and 10mm bolts were too short. so had some motor bolts from a cbr 900rr that fit almost perfectly, had to cut them a little because they were too long and used specific size washers to center the bolts and motor in the frame. washers also acted as shims to adjust for the extra lenght of the bolts.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i was told that the 748 tbs had 45mm restricted and 916 had 50mm tbs

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
i was told that the 748 tbs had 45mm restricted and 916 had 50mm tbs
Nope.

Maybe some of the specials? Not the stradas or even garden variety S bikes.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
any benefits from running 916 tbs on a 853 over 748 tbs? am rebuilding a 853 motor and have unshrouded the combustion chamber for better fuel flow.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
If so Gary, not by much. I don't think it's worth pursuing unless it simply want to find out. In short, not for the cost of the Tbs.

Your 853 is nice as is with the 748 setup.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
any benefits from running 916 tbs on a 853 over 748 tbs? am rebuilding a 853 motor and have unshrouded the combustion chamber for better fuel flow.
I have to agree with Namor, depending on what your plans are going forward with more modification (valves, cams, porting & polishing, etc.) there's no benefit in your current state.....but I could be wrong!:D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
ok thats saves me a little cash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts