Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Found the solution, and it was very unexpected and rather typical ducati like.

I went to the dealer with my problem since it’s only 10 minutes away from my home. There the mechanic recognized the problem quite fast. The problem is that despite that it doesn’t freeze the carburators get ice in then due to the cold air. this effects the functioning of the carburator.

The solution is to warm the carburetors by letting the oil make detour.
Just before the oil goes to the radiator you can switch a small tap so that the oil must make a detour around the carburator before going to the the radiator. My tap was still closed, so the mechanic turned it and the carburator gets warm. Problem solved 😁(and yes, I felt kinda stupid but at the same time it’s hard to now all these things for some one with no mechanical/technical skills)

In the summer I have to switch it again to let the oil cool quicker and then the carburator does not need the warmth.

I would like to thank everyone for their help! I learned so much about my bike the last few weeks thanks to your comments, really appreciate the time and effort you all take to help me.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Carb icing is a thing on that model, the oil tap reroute is something added by a previous owner I think.

Also, carb icing happens at speed, not when you stop, in my experience. When you stop the heat rising from the engine heats the carbs to allow you to start it but it takes a few minutes. That oil hose routing your bike has probably keeps them warm all the time, would you post a pic of that arrangement?

Check back in a week if all the symptoms don't go away but as many have said - the Ducatis like an idle speed a little higher than what you had it originally set to but most especially with a lightened flywheel. This is why some riders have gone back to the heavier stock flywheel if they primarily ride the city with a lot of stopping.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts