Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I thought the pin/dome heights were different between 916 and 853 pistons due to stroke diff? A 916 piston would be 2mm too low for good squish, right?:confused:

Also could be balance issues with weight of the 916 slug vs. 748. Better to go with the Pistals that have wrist pins balanced to stock 748 piston mass.
2.25mm to be exact(difference between both strokes) but can be remedied easily with rods, resulting in a nice boost in compression. I only mentioned that because he said he had a deal on pistons/cylinders/crank, IIRC. ;)

Balance wise, yes, I did mention there could be an issue, nothing that couldn't be fixed though.

One reason why I wondered who did the work. If you are mechanically inclined, it would not be an issue to remedy the issues. Also if you ended up getting a smoking deal on the parts. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
2.25mm to be exact(difference between both strokes) but can be remedied easily with rods, resulting in a nice boost in compression. I only mentioned that because he said he had a deal on pistons/cylinders/crank, IIRC. ;)

Balance wise, yes, I did mention there could be an issue, nothing that couldn't be fixed though.

One reason why I wondered who did the work. If you are mechanically inclined, it would not be an issue to remedy the issues. Also if you ended up getting a smoking deal on the parts. :D
If you change rods to make up for the crown heights you will then need to rebalance the bottom end due to the extra mass in the rods.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If you change rods to make up for the crown heights you will then need to rebalance the bottom end due to the extra mass in the rods.
Very true, but wouldn't that be fun? :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
engine swap

Do an engine swap. Less labour, thus less money and trouble. Straight bolt in, you could even keep your existing ECU etc by just swapping the EPROM. You should be able to get a 916 motor for 1000$ or less, a 996 motor for 1500 or less. 996 would retain your existing (better) charging system and give you some more power - 916s have, um, issues that you'll need to get used to. Might need the wiring harness as well though I'm not sure about that, there are sensor differences between pre 98 and post 98 models.
agreed do the swap
it less of a headache

·
Registered
1 Posts
kinda alike problem

i have a 916 with chewed up output shaft bearing and gears(dont know how it happend)but i also have a 748 bipo and was wondering if i could just use the crank assemble(crank,rods,and pistons)and the 916 cylinders and upper heads and slap them on the 748 lower(useing the trans from the 748 and cases)i can also swap to the three phase alt...but was wondering about and conflicts.....am also not being able to afford the chunk of change for the 853 kit.........any one have a idea thanks

21 - 27 of 27 Posts