Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done some searching and haven't found the info in an easy to find place. What are my options to have a 250 single engine rebuilt and refinished? Do it myself, Syd's Cycles, other?

I have a 67 Monza 250 that has a nice Patina to it, but some oil seepage and well it's old. I would like a professional to go through it, clean out the sludge trap in the crank, check the internals, replace the seals and spruce it all up. I had visions of trying myself but would really like an experienced person to do it. I am in the North East (CT), but obviously could ship the engine just about anywhere.

My goal for the restoration is a nice, near original looking finish that I would take out on Sundays and maybe ride a few hundred miles a year. Not a museum piece, but not the nice Patina look either.

So where did you have your engine worked on or where would you recommend?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Engine restoration

I took my Ducati to Syd's in St Petersberg for engine restoration.
Syd not only restored my engine,but machined some trans gears making it shift real smoothly. I was impressed with Malcolm Tunstal's precision machining.
I looked at a 66 monza that they totally restored for a customer, looked like a new motorcycle. The man that I used to have work on my Ducatis died years ago.I was satisfied with Syds's Cycles.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you have someone else do it, prepare to be patient. Last time I talked to Rich (about a year ago) he had a two year lead time to rebuild an engine... and people were still sending him stuff. He does good work but is a very busy guy.

In any case be sure to ask whoever it is you choose how long things might take before you ship anything off. Then add about 50% to that estimate and expect to get it 50% later than that. :p

I've used Syd's for a few things and liked what they did. Rich has helped me out on a LOT of things too, I consider him to be a friend of mine. I don't know David Chrone other than hearing his name so have no opinion either way there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
For Vintage Bevel Restorations Syd's is the best choice- I worked there years ago and know first hand the level of scrutinizing they pour over every part-

No one has more knowledge about bevels (esp. SINGLES) than Malcome or Syd-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts