Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Something wrong inside the engine, bike wont start, died on me while riding had to get it towed home. Metal screeching when it started and gave it gas, looking for a local mechanic to NJ/NY area, dont want to get ripped at the stealership. Thanks for the help
bike location is near paramus NJ

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm sure an NJ member will soon step up and give you a recommended tech, but in the meantime, can you give more info on the breakdown?

I'm curious whether you heard that metal screeching on start-up, then rode off and the bike died later, or whether the bike died and then you heard the screeching on attempted restart. If the latter is true, how did the bike die in the first place - did the engine just quit suddenly but with no noise, or did the engine slowly lose power and stop, or did the engine go 'pop'?

When was your last service and what was done? Any major engine work lately?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bought it 2 months ago a 2001 ducati 748 looked real clean, took it to dealer for maintenance shortly after purchase, they told me engine was all sludge... changed the oil about 300 miles later while riding im not getting any power going uphill, oil light flickering, pulled over heard really hard engine knocking. Drove towards home, didnt make it had to get it towed. thats where i am now. Previous owner wont take any responsibility for the sludge.
thanks The engine midway thru the ride slowly lost power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer was shocked never seen a engine that was just sludge no oil, they predicted the engine would go soon. Now i dont know what to do fix or sell as is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry for your trouble! When my local dealer here in South Jersey closed I took my Ducati to Norm Garrett. He is a certified Ducati Master Mechanic that used to work for the dealership. Norm started his own business and my experience with Norm has been great. Norm calls his business GPS and works out of Mt Holly Powersports. I'll pm you his cell #.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You might start looking for a used - low milage engine. This is based on the progression of the failure~

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Try ECS ( European Cycle Services) in Middletown, NY. Are you far from Fast by Ferracci in Willow Grove PA.? either way it would seem all that sludge probably stopped up an oil passage and damaged your engine. You might have legal recourse but you'll need to do some checking.
I agree with finding a nice used engine and dropping that in versus repair which could cost you many thousands...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
+2 for ECS. Brought my motor and forks up to them for service and both have been flawless since I got it back together. Top notch service, and great guys to boot.

I'm in Midland Park myself just down the road and would gladly take a look but I doubt there's much I could do for ya. Sounds like the rod end bearing screwed the pooch. Will need a tear down, and and crank resurfacing plus rod bearings at the VERY least.

No matter wear you go, labor for this will ruin your wallet. Like others have said, better off surfing ebay for a decent low mileage used motor. If you go that route, I'd be more than happy to help you put it in and get it up and running.

Good luck man, that sucks. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the help, i dont really want to invest money into it, just gonna try to sell it, i cant afford to drop money into a new / used engine dont want to take a risk again. Thank you guys again for the help

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Word, i hear ya man. Sucks though. Shoot me a pm if you want, might be interested in snaggin' it from ya for another project. Good luck with the sale if you go that rought though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts