Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I have a 2002 750ss i.e that I am in the process of restoring. The PO had painted the engine black, but the paint was in horrible state and came off with just some brake cleaner. The original silver paint was underneath but some in some spots was peeling. I was wondering if the stock heads were also painted this silver metallic color or were they bare aluminium?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Just some observations with my 1993 900SS:

The crank cases were clear coated raw aluminum. Over time the clear coat fades to a yellowed amber giving the crank cases a golden appearance.

I'm fairly sure the later Super Sports (after 1999) had silver painted heads to go along with the clear coated crank cases. The finned jugs on the 1993 are painted black, but are silver on post 1999 models.

I am unsure about the alternator and clutch covers. I think they were also silver in appearance but I don't know for sure if that is silver paint or clear coat over aluminum.

I also noted that my swing arm was painted silver from the factory. My guess is, with a brush to give it the lengthwise "streaks" that resemble machine finished, raw aluminum. Underneath, once the paint was bead blasted off, the raw aluminum does not resemble the silver finish it came with.

The triple clamps are also painted, though the silver wears to a dull gray on the top. It gets the most exposure to weather though as well as key fobs/key chains moving across it so it makes sense.

My front subframe was painted black when I got the bike. Underneath I found gold paint though. I don't know what color the post '99 subframes were. I've seen silver but I've also seen gold....hope I've been of some help....sean

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
That motor as delivered would have been completely painted silver.

Only rare "R" or other homologation spec motors would be bare aluminum.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you're also asking the next logical question as to what to paint the engine as part of your resto, I would use epoxy from Epoxy Coatings - Colors, Clears and Primers - Klass Kote. They have silver, clear etc, but not many metallic colors. I would also use the satin catalyst to keep it from coming out too shiny. The key however is the prep. If you paint over what you already have, the new paint's adhesion will be only as good as what is there. The best prep'd surface is one that has been glass beaded and you don't need a primer with epoxy since it sticks like shit to a shovel. But GB requires that everything be reduced to single parts - ie, never blast an assembled engine or sub assemblies.

·
Registered
1993 900SS
96 Posts
Just some observations with my 1993 900SS:

The crank cases were clear coated raw aluminum. Over time the clear coat fades to a yellowed amber giving the crank cases a golden appearance.

I'm fairly sure the later Super Sports (after 1999) had silver painted heads to go along with the clear coated crank cases. The finned jugs on the 1993 are painted black, but are silver on post 1999 models.

I am unsure about the alternator and clutch covers. I think they were also silver in appearance but I don't know for sure if that is silver paint or clear coat over aluminum.

I also noted that my swing arm was painted silver from the factory. My guess is, with a brush to give it the lengthwise "streaks" that resemble machine finished, raw aluminum. Underneath, once the paint was bead blasted off, the raw aluminum does not resemble the silver finish it came with.

The triple clamps are also painted, though the silver wears to a dull gray on the top. It gets the most exposure to weather though as well as key fobs/key chains moving across it so it makes sense.

My front subframe was painted black when I got the bike. Underneath I found gold paint though. I don't know what color the post '99 subframes were. I've seen silver but I've also seen gold....hope I've been of some help....sean
Iwannaduc,
I have a 1993 900 SS as well, supposedly in original colors apart from the footpeg hangers.
I have silver cases, black barrels and heads. Silver valve inspection covers. Left and right side covers are gloss black, clutch cover is silver. The little inspection cover on the left side cover is silver.
Oil cooler is black.
Wheels are black, frame is silverish. Swingarm appears to be bare aluminum, likely with a clear coat ( though this is not original; the original was replaced by the PO due to cracks).
Front subframe is black. Triples silver paint.
Since pics on the original catalogues that came with the bike are all different, I was wondering whether above matches what is on your bike?
I have red Vitaloni mirrors. Are those original or aftermarket?

I am curious because eventually I would like to get the bike close to original cosmetically - hence need to pick the “right“ paint scheme when the time comes.

Thanks in advance,
Helge

·
Registered
100 Posts
This 95SP I'm going through has black cylinders and silver colored cases and heads. The silver is peeling on the crankcases, but heads look fine, cylinders look rough paint-wise. Planning to strip the old paint with either bead blasting or chemical remover (not sure I want to blast the crankcases and have to replace lots of good bearings...) and repaint with VHT engine enamel SP995 Cast Aluminum and SP906 Satin Black. Someone please tell me if they've used these paints and they're not good.

Frame and subframe were painted a silver, wheels also. Repainting the frame, had to strip it to have cracks welded and the paint looked crappy anyway, but maybe not the wheels at this time.

·
Registered
1993 900SS
96 Posts
This 95SP I'm going through has black cylinders and silver colored cases and heads. The silver is peeling on the crankcases, but heads look fine, cylinders look rough paint-wise. Planning to strip the old paint with either bead blasting or chemical remover (not sure I want to blast the crankcases and have to replace lots of good bearings...) and repaint with VHT engine enamel SP995 Cast Aluminum and SP906 Satin Black. Someone please tell me if they've used these paints and they're not good.

Frame and subframe were painted a silver, wheels also. Repainting the frame, had to strip it to have cracks welded and the paint looked crappy anyway, but maybe not the wheels at this time.
On my Goose I used sandblasting for the rims (way too abrasive if you want a good finish; ok if you powder), tried soda blasting (not abrasive enough in that case, as it left corrosion intact) and used bead blasting finally for the completely dismantled engine. Cleaned with tons of flowing water and detergent in the shower, then rinsed some more with alcohol to dry. I paid A LOT of attention to oil channels, nooks and crannies... No issues with beads on the bike thereafter. But there are some truly horrible pics of engine damage due to beads where the cleaning was not thorough enough.
If you decide on chemical remover, please let me know how it went.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hegelduc did you bead blast the cases with bearings installed? I'm super paranoid about doing that and not being able to get everything out of the bearings.

Parts I am going to blast will use fine glass beads, 100-170 mesh, and lower pressure than normal something around 70 psi. I've found that produces a clean very finely textured finish that paints well, perfectly smooth with a few coats of paint.

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
815 Posts
Pic of 2000 750ie Sport generator case that was hit with paint stripper, scraped with a razor and them finished with a wire wheel on a dremel.
Its all got to come off again so I didn't bother to polish it but I might try giving the whole engine a polished when it finally comes out.
We'll see how enthusiastic I feel.
Bicycle part Nickel Font Machine Metal

·
Registered
1993 900SS
96 Posts
Hegelduc did you bead blast the cases with bearings installed? I'm super paranoid about doing that and not being able to get everything out of the bearings.

Parts I am going to blast will use fine glass beads, 100-170 mesh, and lower pressure than normal something around 70 psi. I've found that produces a clean very finely textured finish that paints well, perfectly smooth with a few coats of paint.
No, EVERYTHING out. I am with you: with bearings in your chance of NOT having beads lodged somewhere is probably slim. I would not risk that. I was amazed how long I had to wash before I found no more beads even with everything stripped down to the metal. They go and stick everywhere.
If you do not have much corrosion, you could consider to blast with Soda or dry ice. Both are supposed to be very gentle to surfaces (Soda in my case clearly was) and, of course, residues can be either dissolved in water and washed off or evaporate. Maybe you can then just take care of remaining issues by hand.

·
Registered
1993 900SS
96 Posts
Pic of 2000 750ie Sport generator case that was hit with paint stripper, scraped with a razor and them finished with a wire wheel on a dremel.
Its all got to come off again so I didn't bother to polish it but I might try giving the whole engine a polished when it finally comes out.
We'll see how enthusiastic I feel. View attachment 1003984
Thanks for sharing! Seems like a lot of effort...!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Seems like a lot of effort...!
Mine had been painted over the original paint and it gotten cracked/blistered but was rock hard due to many fuel spills/leaks? before I got it.
The guy who does the soda blasting near me reconed that it would take too long/cost too much to be viable so I gave it a go.
I reckon I could do the whole engine in less than 40 hours for well under 100 dollars.
Not sure how far into the barrel fins I will get but it only needs to look pretty from a distance.
I've got more time than money to throw at my 750 as its not on the road and I've got the S4 for rides.

·
Registered
1993 900SS
96 Posts
Mine had been painted over the original paint and it gotten cracked/blistered but was rock hard due to many fuel spills/leaks? before I got it.
The guy who does the soda blasting near me reconed that it would take too long/cost too much to be viable so I gave it a go.
I reckon I could do the whole engine in less than 40 hours for well under 100 dollars.
Not sure how far into the barrel fins I will get but it only needs to look pretty from a distance.
I've got more time than money to throw at my 750 as its not on the road and I've got the S4 for rides.
I didn‘t mean to be critical. I have a lot of respect for folks willing to invest this much labor in something. And sometimes I do myself: I spent numerous hours making rearset holder plates for my Guzzi from aircraft grade Aluminum. Giving it to a machine shop would have been a lot easier and likely a more „professional“ outcome. But where is the fun in that? ;-)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I didn't take it as criticism and you're right about the effort.
The engine paint is a lot more of a hassle than I anticipated.
Oh well, the joys of toys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts