Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
What kind of prep do you need to do before painting an engine? Can it be done while in the bike or has to be removed? Mine is pretty corroded from a leaky clutch slave so would like to look into this down the road.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My engine is out of the frame, but will still need to completely mask off the areas that won't receive paint. Prep looks pretty simple, and is called out on the can, which I bought a the local auto parts store. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cerakote range of ceramic finishes. Have a coating for just about any application that you can think of for your bike. Soda blast the engine so it is nice and clean then mask out and spray. They have a number of different styles of finish and the range of colors is pretty good. I use this on all the bikes that I rebuild without exception.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Most ceramic type coatings I’m familiar with require a specific heat treatment to cure. Does just running the engine take care of this ? Is it easily damaged until proper curing ?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Duc96cr, Dupli-Color bought VHT, per the auto shop dude. I asked because there were only a few VHT cans on the shelf and the rest were covered with DupliColor cans. I looked at the city, zip code even, of the company. And it is the same as that listed on the VHT cans. They had no paint code that you referenced, so I bought the Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic "DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum" - the closest text I could find to the paint code you gave us some time back.

If you've seen this new paint, do you have an opinion on the quality of match to original engine paint of the Dupli-Color item I bought?

Much Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cerakote range of ceramic finishes. Have a coating for just about any application that you can think of for your bike. Soda blast the engine so it is nice and clean then mask out and spray. They have a number of different styles of finish and the range of colors is pretty good. I use this on all the bikes that I rebuild without exception.
Thanks Combi! Could you recommend a Cerakote paint color code for Ducati 996 engine cases?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Have a look at the range as it is changing all the time. I use glacier silver, satin mag, satin nickel, jet black, stoplight red and highland green.
For the engine I would go for Glacier silver or satin Mag. Glacier silver is a mat bright silver, satin mag is a bit darker. You can cut a cerakote clear to get a gloss if that's what you want. For the side covers look at the titanium or the satin nickel. I use the highland green as a side cover colour for those that want to have the magnesium primer look to there covers. I use the airdry version but use the over cure ones when she who thinks she must be obeyed is not around and I can use the stove.....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Most ceramic type coatings I’m familiar with require a specific heat treatment to cure. Does just running the engine take care of this ? Is it easily damaged until proper curing ?
The air cured Cerakote is not as durable as the oven cured ones but for most applications it is fine. I use it all the time and are starting to use it for all sorts of different things. The have a range of internal engine coatings as well for those that are that way inclined.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I thought I might add, the black on early engines is not a normal black. Sort of semi-gloss.

But a guy on the F1, TT and 851 site said he gets a good look from the black paint (rattlecan) sold by his local Mercury Marine dealer for Mercury outboard engines.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts