Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the weight and viscosity of the Shell Advance Ultra 4 stuff?

What are you guys using instead as a replacement since apparently it's not imported to the States?

I have the wet clutch 796 and it's time for an oil change so I wanted some recommendations. I guess it makes sense to match what they recommend from the factory right?

I've been partial to fully synthetic Mobil 1 in my cages.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Manual says 10W40 from Shell. I'm not going to bother with shell oil anymore (they sucked so bad in my previous bikes), but going to use a own brand full synthetic from Hein Gericke. 10W50 full synthetic for cheaper than 10W40 A-brand stuff (comes out of the same factory as Motul).

You should be fine with a semi-synth or full synth 10W40 or 10W50 with JASO MA specs.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Redline 20w50 full syn motorcycle oil, ( POE group V ester based) one of the best oils for those that have a "dry" clutch, because it has a JASCO MB rating (has some moly) but for hard running its the shit!
Aloha Alex

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice fellas.

Talked to a buddy of mine who's been riding all his life and he said they don't import the Shell Advance Ultra 4 because it has sulfur and phosphates in it which the USA banned in car motor oil and fuel. NOT in diesel oil though, I think those additives are the only difference. Anyone running diesel oil in their Duc??

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Some have used the diesel oil.
Is there any other oil threads???

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Any good quality motorcycle oil 10w40 or XXw50 will work fine in the air cooled Duc depending on air-temp & how you ride, the 10w40 will break down faster, so change it more often. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What he said!
Michael
what both of these guys said. I use it in both my cages, lawmower (used from the track bike), track bike, pit bike, and duc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice fellas.

Talked to a buddy of mine who's been riding all his life and he said they don't import the Shell Advance Ultra 4 because it has sulfur and phosphates in it which the USA banned in car motor oil and fuel. NOT in diesel oil though, I think those additives are the only difference. Anyone running diesel oil in their Duc??

The bikes are shipped here with the Shell Advance Ultra 4 in them.
Shell did make this available in the US for a couple of years, however there was not enough demand to continue selling it in the US.
From what I understand, it was a business decision.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What's the weight and viscosity of the Shell Advance Ultra 4 stuff?

What are you guys using instead as a replacement since apparently it's not imported to the States?

I have the wet clutch 796 and it's time for an oil change so I wanted some recommendations. I guess it makes sense to match what they recommend from the factory right?

I've been partial to fully synthetic Mobil 1 in my cages.

It's your bike, it's your responsibility. Half of the recommendations in this thread I would consider incorrect. They may work but in the end, when/if the engine develops a mechanical problem and you are running oil other than what was cited by the manufacturer, then when/if that day comes ... you will not be covered by the warranty, that is if the warranty is an important aspect of ownership to you. A dealer may look the other way ..... or not.

You should not run a semi-synthetic, a viscosity outside Ducati's spec, or an oil not recommended by an authorized Ducati dealership. Even the oil filter is subject to scrutiny if it is not equivalent to Ducati specs. Ducati engineered the bike, so I would think following the MFG recommendations are good right.

There was a guy that ran a NAPA oil filter based on a recommendation. It was dimensionally correct and had the proper threads, though the rider did not research it. It turned out the relief valve (by-pass) spec for that filter was 12psi, Ducati's spec is 8psi +/- 1. So in various conditions the engine was starved for oil eventually developing an undesirable metallic sound. :eek:

You have 796, so you know it is a wet clutch. An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label. The 1100's have a dry clutch and can use a wider range of oils than a wet clutch system. Time to actually read the OP initial post needs careful consideration before posting. For all we know the rider could go running off to wally mart for a gallon of what is not the correct sh1t for their bike. :rolleyes:

If you wish to stay with M1 they have two motorcycle specific oils available. I run M1 Racing 4T 10W-40. If it is important, write Ducati and have them provide in writing the oil/viscosity they recommend, or a dealer.
I know it would be just my luck that I would have some issue then Ducati would come back and say, Oh, we don't recommend using that oil. :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
owners manual? what page is that on?
my manual on pg. 94 does not cite the viscosity.
workshop manual that's on a CD. But you could use a wide range of oil viscosity's depending on the temperature where you live. A 10W or 15W is fine for the somewhat colder climate of the Netherlands( well, during any other period than summer, we now have a nice 81f temperature).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It's your bike, it's your responsibility. Half of the recommendations in this thread I would consider incorrect. They may work but in the end, when/if the engine develops a mechanical problem and you are running oil other than what was cited by the manufacturer, then when/if that day comes ... you will not be covered by the warranty, that is if the warranty is an important aspect of ownership to you. A dealer may look the other way ..... or not.

You should not run a semi-synthetic, a viscosity outside Ducati's spec, or an oil not recommended by an authorized Ducati dealership. Even the oil filter is subject to scrutiny if it is not equivalent to Ducati specs. Ducati engineered the bike, so I would think following the MFG recommendations are good right.

There was a guy that ran a NAPA oil filter based on a recommendation. It was dimensionally correct and had the proper threads, though the rider did not research it. It turned out the relief valve (by-pass) spec for that filter was 12psi, Ducati's spec is 8psi +/- 1. So in various conditions the engine was starved for oil eventually developing an undesirable metallic sound. :eek:

You have 796, so you know it is a wet clutch. An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label. The 1100's have a dry clutch and can use a wider range of oils than a wet clutch system. Time to actually read the OP initial post needs careful consideration before posting. For all we know the rider could go running off to wally mart for a gallon of what is not the correct sh1t for their bike. :rolleyes:

If you wish to stay with M1 they have two motorcycle specific oils available. I run M1 Racing 4T 10W-40. If it is important, write Ducati and have them provide in writing the oil/viscosity they recommend, or a dealer.
I know it would be just my luck that I would have some issue then Ducati would come back and say, Oh, we don't recommend using that oil. :D
So you run the Mobil 1 that says it's for high rev engines, with the sport bike on the front of the quart? I was going to get the 20w-50.

·
Registered
236 Posts

...An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label. The 1100's have a dry clutch and can use a wider range of oils than a wet clutch system. Time to actually read the OP initial post needs careful consideration before posting. For all we know the rider could go running off to wally mart for a gallon of what is not the correct sh1t for their bike. :rolleyes:
:D
It's all good: http://www-static.shell.com/static/...ts_services/lubricants/rotella/rotella_t6.pdf

SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS
SAE Viscosity Grade: 5W-40
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, C4, SM, SL, SH; ACEA E9; Caterpillar
ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20081; DDC 93K218; Ford WSS
M2C171-E; JASO DH2, MA; Mack EO-0 Premium Plus; MAN 3275;
MB Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4

·
Registered
520 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts