Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a sticker shock when ordering some Full Synth Motul 300v.As I have several bikes,none get a lot of mileage each year, I just change oil every year regardless of low mileage.As I am up to six bikes,(hopefully selling two soon) costs add up.What quality oil is the best value out there that you're using? Maybe I should consider Dino or a synth blend?

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Never dino, esp as it is almost as expensive as good synthetic these days. M1 15w-50 (5qt container) for about $25 that is sadly exclusive to Walmart or Rotella T6 5w-40 (4qt container) for about $25+ available at many places. Both are diesel engine oils that contain a bigger additive package esp zinc.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've been using Castrol Power1 10W-40 Synthetic 4T. Ships free from Amazon at $50/case (< $9/quart). Castrol Actevo (synth blend) comes in at $39/case ($6.50/quart).

Though I use full synth (leftover from when I owned a Monster), I'm not convinced it's as worthwhile for a dry clutch, particularly if it's low mileage, changed annually and doesn't see any track time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, what happens to the oil that requires changing annually regardless of mileage?
I am in the northeast.Although I try to ride all year ,the bikes rarely get a proper ride from late Dec-mid/late March.Stored in an unheated garage.Condensation and moisture incursion can happen under those conditions.For the cheap insurance,I change them every year.Just trying to balance caution to value.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I am in the northeast.Although I try to ride all year ,the bikes rarely get a proper ride from late Dec-mid/late March.Stored in an unheated garage.Condensation and moisture incursion can happen under those conditions.For the cheap insurance,I change them every year.Just trying to balance caution to value.
You don't understand what causes condensation. Well, it won't hurt anything except your wallet.

If you want to lubricate your engine when you can't ride it and don't want to do any winterization procedures, turn it over periodically WITHOUT starting it. It won't re-coat everything but it will reset the moving parts in a different position.

If you ran the bike around for 20 minutes to cook out any condensation that remained from running the bike for a shorter period or sitting, it will not have any water left in the oil. No need to replace. The water in the oil is only a problem when sitting long enough that the oil protection has drained from parts. The amount of condensation that occurs inside an enclosed engine even outside is pretty minimal in a matter of a few months. In a couple years of being unprotected, damage can occur. Don't know who would store a Ducati outside but if you are going to park it all winter and never ride it for 20 minutes, winterize it with a clingy oil mist made for that purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts