Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 ST3s and just noticed that during the dash display start up when the key is turned to the ON position, the red engine oil pressure light (oil can icon) is on. As soon as the engine is started however, the red oil light disappears. Is this normal function, or does this indicate low oil pressure for the engine? Sorry about this elementary question, I just had never paid attention to the display panel when the key was in the ON position prior to starting the bike. Thanks for your help guys, this site is so great and is one of the main reasons I decided on the ST3s!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
The fact that your oil pressure light is on before your engine is running indicates that your oil pressure sensing system is working.

When/if it goes out 1-2 seconds after you start your engine means your good to go.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
When in doubt, you can always check your oil level using the sight glass on the right side of the bike.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
When in doubt, you can always check your oil level using the sight glasson the right side of the bike.
The light is not affected by the oil level and will not give you any warning of low level - It only confirms you have sufficient pressure.

My daughter made this mistake when forgetting to check her oil level (dspite many reminders) , thinking the light would warn when it got dangerously low , result was the pump kept working until the last minute and then when it had no oil to pump , failed (the light coming on at this point) and the big-end was F**ck*d
It was a Suzuki SV650 and the rebuild quote was in excess of £1000 but thankfully (not sure I mean that !) we managed to obtain a reconditioned engine from a company supplying racers of mini-twins in the UK.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I read in the manual (MY 2000) that;

the oil pressure light should go out a few seconds after the engine has started.

Then on page 11

Red Light

comes on when engine oil pressure is too low. It briefly come on when the ignition is switched to ON and normally goes out a few seconds after engine starts.

Hope that helps....

Obviously, checking the glass window is key. MY 'guess' is that if the oil window is showing oil then all would be normal, unless they made a change from the 2000 model to yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tahoe, Does your red oil light go on and stay on when you turn the key to the ON position?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
My red light comes on when I turn the power on and stays lit until the bike turns over/started. I don't believe I've seen it on while riding away though.

I'm by far an expert. But, if your oil window is between the max/min lines it sounds like it's normal to see the light on at start, and even for a few seconds while you ride away.

But, make SURE your window is showing oil.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
It's worth reiterating what 'Gearbox' said above. The red light comes on if you lose oil pressure, i.e. either you've sprung a leak and are spewing oil everywhere, or an oil galley is blocked and oil is not flowing around any more, or your oil pump has failed! It has nothing to do with the level of oil you have in the engine! Absolutely, make sure you can see oil in the oil window and that it is in between the lines, but don't be fooled into thinking that means you have oil pressure throughout the engine!

One other reason for the light staying on is that the oil pressure sensor itself is faulty! Bottom line is if the red light stays on, STOP! Don't continue riding until you determine why it's on. Looking at the oil level and seeing oil there will not help you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turbo, the light goes off as soon as I start the bike. I was just trying to determine if the light should always goes on during the start up process (ignition to ON) and then goes out when you start it. Is this typical? Tahoe said that his bike does the same (goes on when key is turned on, but then goes off upon starting)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Turbo, the light goes off as soon as I start the bike. I was just trying to determine if the light should always goes on during the start up process (ignition to ON) and then goes out when you start it. Is this typical? Tahoe said that his bike does the same (goes on when key is turned on, but then goes off upon starting)
Yes, the light going on when you turn the key and then going off once you start the engine is what it's supposed to do. It's a diagnostic function. It lets you know the light is working and that the sensor is working. All cars do it too.

In fact, if you don't see the light at all when you turn the key, something is wrong! Most probably, the light has failed and needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
my red light goes on every time when the key is turned on. And when I start the bike it immediately goes off... The other guys know MUCH more than I do. If yours is operating different than mine, I'd investigate further. If my red light ever came on while riding, or didn't go immediately after going into first I would for sure STOP!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK thank you! It's weird, I had just never paid attention to the display before. I guess I would just turn the key to ON and then start up and go (so eager to get on with riding this fun bike). I guess I just happened to turn the key ON, then was distracted for a few seconds, I looked down at the display to see the red light on prior to pushing the start button (where it immediately went away). For the life of me I couldnt remember if thats what it always did, so I thought I would pose the question. Im happy to know that this is part of the normal sequence of events.....thought I was losing my mind for a second.......darn, old-age is creeping on me! Thanks guys for the info, you all make this site so helpful and I appreciate the responses. It's time for a ride to clear the cobwebs!!!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
No worries. I just freaked myself out for a second. All this oil talk. Just went for a quick ride to run some errands and such. While the bike was on the kickstand, I looked at the oil window. SUPER LOW.... Duh... on the center stand it's perfect. For a second though I though 'now what'....

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
So, I guess my bike was listening... I went for a short ride today. I pulled over to stop. Right as I pulled over and slowed down-right before I killed the ignition my red light went on. Never happened before. I immediately stopped the motor. Waited for about a minute. Started the bike. Red light went off. Came on as normal when I first start and then off as normal when the engine began running. Didn't come on again the rest of the ride.

Any ideas?

·
2,650 Posts
So, I guess my bike was listening... I went for a short ride today. I pulled over to stop. Right as I pulled over and slowed down-right before I killed the ignition my red light went on. Never happened before. I immediately stopped the motor. Waited for about a minute. Started the bike. Red light went off. Came on as normal when I first start and then off as normal when the engine began running. Didn't come on again the rest of the ride.

Any ideas?
Sounds like a dodgy oil-pressure switch to me.
It should not come on while the engine is still running , even on tick-over.

·
7,733 Posts
It's worth reiterating what 'Gearbox' said above. The red light comes on if you lose oil pressure, i.e. either you've sprung a leak and are spewing oil everywhere, or an oil galley is blocked and oil is not flowing around any more, or your oil pump has failed! It has nothing to do with the level of oil you have in the engine! ....
There are times when the oil level can effect a red light. I'm not sure this true for Ducati motorcycles, but on some bikes, if you launch them hard the oil light comes on because the oil has been pushed to the rear of the pan from the acceleration forces, and the oil sensor if not the oil pump feed is in the front of the pan. Lots of oil in the bike, but the light comes on temporarily.

·
2,650 Posts
There are times when the oil level can effect a red light. I'm not sure this true for Ducati motorcycles, but on some bikes, if you launch them hard the oil light comes on because the oil has been pushed to the rear of the pan from the acceleration forces, and the oil sensor if not the oil pump feed is in the front of the pan. Lots of oil in the bike, but the light comes on temporarily.
But not oil the pump can scavange at that moment so fooled into thinking it has none.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts