Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Recently my engine oil light comes on intermittently and then it goes out.
Sometimes it lights up at idle (standing still), sometimes while I am moving.
I checked the engine oil level, the oil pressure sensor wire connection next to the clutch cover and everything seems to be in order.

What is causing it??
I am worried...

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Hello,
Recently my engine oil light comes on intermittently and then it goes out.
Sometimes it lights up at idle (standing still), sometimes while I am moving.
I checked the engine oil level, the oil pressure sensor wire connection next to the clutch cover and everything seems to be in order.

What is causing it??
I am worried...

Thanks in advance!
The only time I've had that problem was in heavy rain - some water got into either the switch and/or the oil, and on came the warning light. Stopped and checked, and nothing sounded like it was rattling (more than usual :) ) too much, so I carried on. Gave the switch a good spray with WD-40 and all OK. Never been a problem since (15 years ago...).

·
Registered
429 Posts
I wouldn't ride any more until you've verified the oil pressure. This is easy to do. Just get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge from the local auto parts store, along with a metric adapter (you have a M10X1.0 thread in the engine), connect it, and start it up. I forget what the specific number should be, but probably something like 25-30 psi at idle, and then a 10 psi increase for every 1000RPMs. If it proves good that way, then you know your sending unit went bad. If not, you have other issues. When I had my engine apart I learned from the shop that did the bottom end that Ducati's oil pumps aren't made with the greatest precision, and that it's not unusual to find pumps that lose a lot of pressure due to excessive side clearances. I was also warned never to 'treat these like a Japanese bike', as in just jump on, start it up and fly off down the road, but to give a few minutes to warm up and build pressure everywhere within the engine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi , had a similar problem which turned out to be a faulty switch. Swapped my boyfriends' 900ss switch for mine ...all good. Although was informed a faulty switch shouldn't light up while moving. Good luck

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I would change your oil and look for suspicious fingernail clipping looking bits of metal. My buddy had that happen and it was the oil galley plug in the crank backing out, letting oil "blow by" causing the intermittent low pressure to trigger the light. Some years were more susceptible than others to this. I'm sure a search around these parts will tell you if this is a reasonable possibility for your year and model.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would change your oil and look for suspicious fingernail clipping looking bits of metal. My buddy had that happen and it was the oil galley plug in the crank backing out, letting oil "blow by" causing the intermittent low pressure to trigger the light. Some years were more susceptible than others to this. I'm sure a search around these parts will tell you if this is a reasonable possibility for your year and model.

Could be? Was going to reply you needed a new oil pressure switch as mine died a few months back, but could be the plug... pull your strainer out and have a look for alloy clippings... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts