Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my bike about a month ago and has about 856km. This is what happened today. Any one had same issue before or I am too lucky?
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Bicycle helmet Tire Wheel Helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
172 Posts
That isn’t good. Especially with oil all over your rear tire. Get it back to the dealer ASAP

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not sure how you plan to get that to the dealer but it looks like almost all of your oil leaked out. The bike is on the kickstand and that should usually fill up the entire oil gauge uuwindow. Just something to consider.

Here is another thread with a similar oil leak.

Lastly, based on your mileage, I'd imagine that you had your first service and no issues prior. I've seen many dealers overfill oil because time is money and they don't have the time to wait to for the engine to cool off overnight and check the gauge again. They just overfill assuming that once the bike is cool and sitting for awhile that it should be at the right level on the oil gauge.

Too much oil will cause extreme pressure on the gaskets and can potentially break the seal and start spewing. This may be why you see the oil leaking from the top section.

·
Bon Vivant
11,782 Posts
Too much oil isnt going to burst gaskets or seals. The engine has a crankcase breather, an over-fill can result in oil being pushed out of the breather and into the airbox. Most airboxes have a drain hose but oil can go into the intake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone. The bike is in the dealer where I purchased from. Waiting for them to find out what’s the issue. The weird thing is, they sent me back the photo of oil sight and it looks like still got enough oil in it.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone. The bike is in the dealer where I purchased from. Waiting for them to find out what’s the issue. The weird thing is, they sent me back the photo of oil sight and it looks like still got enough oil in it.
View attachment 1018484
Btw, not first service yet. They suggest me when it reaches 1,000km and bring the bike for first service.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't know how Ducati handles repairing possible major oil leaks (yank the motor & completly tear it down) because I just went the rounds with Toyota on my 4 month old Tacoma needing the motor pulled for a timing chain cover gasket leak requiring the engine removed & taken down to the short block!!

I wanted to tell them to shove the POS up there ass.......but due to a 4 month wait to get another one I leaned on them hard enough to get oil & filter changes every 5000 miles & extended power train warrantee for 10 years 100,000 miles
That's how bad I hated some flat rate mechanic removing my engine on a brand new truck being as anal as I am.

That being said if your motor comes out tell them to keep it & you want a new bike because I don't care how professional they say the guy doing it is you can still tell it's been apart by the way every fastener no matter how much care was taken WILL have socket & wrench marks on them not to mention possible frame scratches, case markings & excessive ducabond squeezing out of every engine mating serface

Anybody that knows what a pristine Ducati looks like WILL be able to see it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know how Ducati handles repairing possible major oil leaks (yank the motor & completly tear it down) because I just went the rounds with Toyota on my 4 month old Tacoma needing the motor pulled for a timing chain cover gasket leak requiring the engine removed & taken down to the short block!!

I wanted to tell them to shove the POS up there ass.......but due to a 4 month wait to get another one I leaned on them hard enough to get oil & filter changes every 5000 miles & extended power train warrantee for 10 years 100,000 miles
That's how bad I hated some flat rate mechanic removing my engine on a brand new truck being as anal as I am.

That being said if your motor comes out tell them to keep it & you want a new bike because I don't care how professional they say the guy doing it is you can still tell it's been apart by the way every fastener no matter how much care was taken WILL have socket & wrench marks on them not to mention possible frame scratches, case markings & excessive ducabond squeezing out of every engine mating serface

Anybody that knows what a pristine Ducati looks like WILL be able to see it
Thanks for the advice, I will contact Ducati Canada directly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Did it fill the motor with water?
Meaning your oiling system with water.........that's a major problem on a high strung engine possibly rod bearings lubricated with antifreeze /water mix? That makes a pretty shitty lubricant let alone having everything from your gearbox to the oil cooler contaminated with that shit

Not good

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Did it fill the motor with water?
Meaning your oiling system with water.........that's a major problem on a high strung engine possibly rod bearings lubricated with antifreeze /water mix? That makes a pretty shitty lubricant let alone having everything from your gearbox to the oil cooler contaminated with that shit

Not good
The water pump is blocked off from the oil passages on the motor end, the design lets the seal weep externally unless it mechanically fails at the metal end. Look at an exploded diagram and it'll make sense.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Too much oil isnt going to burst gaskets or seals. The engine has a crankcase breather, an over-fill can result in oil being pushed out of the breather and into the airbox. Most airboxes have a drain hose but oil can go into the intake.
I should know that... Happened to my friends Diavel.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The water pump is blocked off from the oil passages on the motor end, the design lets the seal weep externally unless it mechanically fails at the metal end. Look at an exploded diagram and it'll make sense.
What method has Ducati decided to drive it?

Water pump shaft connected to some internally lubricated component like crankshaft or camshaft to spin it? Coolant can & will leak past a pump shaft seal @ 15psi coolant pressure.

Or belt driven & compleatly isolated from any lubricated component? (That one CAN'T leak oil just coolant)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What method has Ducati decided to drive it?

Water pump shaft connected to some internally lubricated component like crankshaft or camshaft to spin it? Coolant can & will leak past a pump shaft seal @ 15psi coolant pressure.

Or belt driven & compleatly isolated from any lubricated component? (That one CAN'T leak oil just coolant)
Gear driven

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's what I thought
Is the drive shaft seal leaking coolant into your motor? There's no oil pressure on that shaft seal just 15 psi coolant pressure pushing on it.?.....into your motor.

Thier is a good chance coolant did get in your motor & I'd be shocked if it doesn't have coolant mixed in your oil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts