Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I found this post, relating to "better valve guides" being in the later engine numbers below:

"The ones with the updated (better valve guides are):

SC Sport 1000: from engine no. ZDM992A2*026720* for EU model and WAB6026147 for US model

SC Paul Smart 1000: from engine no. ZDM992A2*026593* for EU model and WAB6026193 for US model"

But my PS number starts ZDMC100AA5BXXXXXX*

Can anyone who understand how Ducati engines are indexed tell me whether my engine is in this "new" range, or is older - and may need the valve guides monitoring or replacing?

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't GT1000's have valve guides. Or is it they don't have engine number's.:think:

(just joking)
cheers
Nev

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your other thread is the first I had heard of this potential problem. Like you, my engine number doesn't follow the format in the "better valve guides" post.

The prefix to mine on my 2006 SC is similar to yours, except for one digit;

ZDMC101AA5BXXXXXX

I too would appreciate any enlightenment.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hi guys,

I found this post, relating to "better valve guides" being in the later engine numbers below:

"The ones with the updated (better valve guides are):

SC Sport 1000: from engine no. ZDM992A2*026720* for EU model and WAB6026147 for US model

SC Paul Smart 1000: from engine no. ZDM992A2*026593* for EU model and WAB6026193 for US model"

But my PS number starts ZDMC100AA5BXXXXXX*

Can anyone who understand how Ducati engines are indexed tell me whether my engine is in this "new" range, or is older - and may need the valve guides monitoring or replacing?

Thanks
the ZDM numbers are VINs. The engine numbers should be different.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Don't GT1000's have valve guides. Or is it they don't have engine number's.:think:

(just joking)
cheers
Nev
There were no GTs built in the 2006 model year so they escaped the early valve guide issues.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I hate to interject any doubt for sportclassic owners but my bike is an 07 with the engine numbers being in the WAB7035XXX range. This should be long after the affected change to the "Better" valve guides. Both of my exhaust guides were out of limits when I checked them this time. I have just shy of 20K miles on the bike. It may be something for you other owners to consider having checked as you get closer to the mileage I have on mine.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
wow.. interesting stuff... im taking ownership of my new PS is a week or two. this thread just got me real worried..

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think this is time to panic. No bikes are perfect, but now we know there may be something to look out for...

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Left hand side, low down on the engine under the side cases in front of the side stand bracket. ...Hands & knees job...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If you have to update them, and they're out of warranty, remember MBP collets (reported to give you 15k mile intervals between valve shim checks).

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If you have to update them, and they're out of warranty, remember MBP collets (reported to give you 15k mile intervals between valve shim checks).

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I second that.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Left hand side, low down on the engine under the side cases in front of the side stand bracket. ...Hands & knees job...
You are talking about the SC1K, right? I must be overlooking something... I looked and found nothing there.... Do you have a pic where the # is located?:think:

·
Registered
704 Posts
You are talking about the SC1K, right? I must be overlooking something... I looked and found nothing there.... Do you have a pic where the # is located?:think:
Lh side under the edge of the side cover. You could call it the oil sump if you wanted. The wires in my pic are the wires from the side stand running forward.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Lh side under the edge of the side cover. You could call it the oil sump if you wanted. The wires in my pic are the wires from the side stand running forward.

AH! There it is!! Wow, I must be blind... Thanks!:D

Dude, that is one serious clean engine...what do you use? mine is a bit dirty...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wab6026517....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dude, that is one serious clean engine...what do you use? mine is a bit dirty...
I cheat. :D That was right after I finished repainting the motor. It was back in the frame but I don't know that I had even started it yet.:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts