Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a used motor in my 12 848. Changed the cam belts 1st & ran it at a track day. The motor ran perfect. The shift arm spring broke but that’s another subject. Though the engine runs fine& has no noticeable lack of power or any other issues, it makes this strange sound. It’s like a chirping, bell ringing sound on the belt side. I did not use any special tools to set the belt tension. I only used the original motor as reference. I’ve seen similar videos posted but there was no resolution. Has anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Put a used motor in my 12 848. Changed the cam belts 1st & ran it at a track day. The motor ran perfect. The shift arm spring broke but that’s another subject. Though the engine runs fine& has no noticeable lack of power or any other issues, it makes this strange sound. It’s like a chirping, bell ringing sound on the belt side. I did not use any special tools to set the belt tension. I only used the original motor as reference. I’ve seen similar videos posted but there was no resolution. Has anyone seen this before?
Give it throttle...does the whirring go away or just get louder...if it goes away I'd say your belts are too tight...if it gets louder I would lean towards a bearing...

Belt tension how to...
https://www.ducatimonster.org/index.php?posts/3080673

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise is constant, doesn’t get louder or quieter when revved. It just speeds up. Thanks the for advise. I’ll recheck the tension.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The noise is constant, doesn’t get louder or quieter when revved. It just speeds up. Thanks the for advise. I’ll recheck the tension.
If it is indeed belt related...once your engine is at the uncomfortable stuck in traffic kinda hot... they will make noise regardless of tension

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve heard this noise before but only after coming off the track, with this motor in particular. Never heard it with the original one.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I’ve heard this noise before but only after coming off the track, with this motor in particular. Never heard it with the original one.
Im leaning heavily to too tight....before you make any adjustments...check what frequency they're tuned to now...room temperature of course...a poorly tensioned belt isn't necessarily catastrophic...but it is an annoyance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I appreciate your advise. Tried the guitar tuner method & I could never get a consistent result. That’s why I went with comparing it to my other motor. I used the n-Track tuner.
which one do you use.?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thank you. I appreciate your advise. Tried the guitar tuner method & I could never get a consistent result. That’s why I went with comparing it to my other motor. I used the n-Track tuner.
which one do you use.?
The apps are a mixed bag..you need everything be quiet but only for a few seconds to get a straight read...I've been using "chord detector zax" for years now...there's probably better...but I've had good results with that one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re-tensioned the belts both ways over & under. No change. Will take it to the shop & post the results.

·
Registered
809 Posts
hows it sound with the covers installed? can check the bearings with a stethoscope but be super cautious.I think it sounds ok as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard that noise on another YouTube post, sounds exactly like mine. I did listen to it with the stethoscope & was unable to determine the source of the noise. It seems to be coming from the belt side of the motor though. I did not listen to it with the covers on & do imagine it would mute the noise a bit. However, the original motor (the one in the video is a used one from E bay) did not make that noise at all. Not even a little bit. It may be nothing, just a characteristic of that particular motor. I've got the bike & original motor at Motocorsa. They'll figure it out & I'll post up what it turns out to be. Thanks for all the advise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts