Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
It is far easier to adjust the valves with the head off than on. Openers .004" closers .0015" If you have lapped the valves in the openers will be tighter and the closers looser.You said the openers were only .002" before you took it apart so the clearance is now less than that.
Well, the funny thing is that what I measure seems to change. When I put the clips on the shafts that hold the opening rocker in place, the measurement changes. The clearance seemed to change if I rotated the opening shim too. I don't know why though. What you say is logically correct, but after I lapped them and put everything back together, the clearances seemed ok enough for compression testing. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If the shims have been sanded incorrectly they will change spec when rotated.What is likely is the thickness isn't parallel. Wear on the rocker/shaft is also possible but on a low mile engine it shouldn't be a factor.Make sure underside of the shim is clean too,litle bits of crap can mislead you.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
OK, I'm back from Sweden, it's nice weather today, so I put the head back on and tested it. I got 140 psi in that cylinder! I did two tests and got 144 and 140 psi. The vertical cylinder is still at 115. So, I need to pull the engine and lap the valves in that cylinder, at least.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Call BCM in Laconia, NH. They're closing and I'd bet they have a set of hi-comps in stock that Leslie would probably give you a good deal on.
I just went through their eBay store and didn't see any, but they have a ton of other things for sale there. They have a great deal on brake rotors, for example.

·
Excel Addict
5,085 Posts
I just went through their eBay store and didn't see any, but they have a ton of other things for sale there. They have a great deal on brake rotors, for example.
Hey, as you have already found it, can you post a link to their eBay store please.

Richard

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
If you're interested, I'd still call. They have way more in stock than what is on ebay.
Oh, I think the rings are still good on my bike, so I doubt I'll be buying new pistons. I am interested in the billet exhaust flanges though. It says "Ducati Supersport" but I don't know if that's all years or what. I sent a question via eBay yesterday but have not heard anything yet. Of course, it's the weekend...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Oh, I think the rings are still good on my bike, so I doubt I'll be buying new pistons. I am interested in the billet exhaust flanges though. It says "Ducati Supersport" but I don't know if that's all years or what. I sent a question via eBay yesterday but have not heard anything yet. Of course, it's the weekend...
Just an FYI, they're always closed Sunday and Monday.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Hi there
how did go, everything running like it should?

regards
Arnego2
Well, the other day I hooked up the wide band O2 sensor and it seems to be running ok. The AFR was around 12 while it was still warming up, and once it got hot, it was more like 13 or so. I had repaired the hand throttle so I could hold it at any particular rpm and I checked it up to about 5k. So, I'm just going to ride it once everything is back together. I'm waiting on a custom part right now. I had to make a lot of repairs because the guy who made the custom exhaust dropped the bike from an elevated platform and did a lot of damage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sorry

Hi there
sorry to hear that. One good reason not to use guy which work on our bikes. I think I have to go through the same work as you did with the valves.

best regards
Arnego2

121 - 135 of 135 Posts