Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how critical is it? i started getting intermittent light of the engine light not too long ago. usually it resets if i just power off then back on again and doesn't show up for the rest of the ride.

what exactly is this monitoring?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Mine acts up the couple times I've had the bike on the track. Stays on for extended periods of time, comes on mid-session and stays on the rest of the session. Not sure why. It clears up a couple starts or rides later and doesn't come on again. I have the VDST software and it hasn't thrown any trouble codes. I've done some pretty spirited canyon riding though with no trouble whatsoever. No idea why it does this but my theory is it has something to do with oil pressure/temp in combination with high revs. Maybe. :think:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whew thats a relief!

while it is covered under warranty and extended service agreement still, i really wasnt looking forward to giving my bike over to ducati during the riding season!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem at a trackday. Came on for a few seconds and then went out. Happened two different times when we were waiting to leave the pit. I thought it was due to moisture, but now that I see others are having the same isssue??? No actual performance problems.:confused:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
mine came on as my speedo acted erratically... then I, ahem, em, I mean, disconnected two plastic parts that were connected to one another which in no way is connected to the speedo at all... :cool:... and the light stayed on solid for a few days until I put the two aforementioned plastic parts back together which magically cured the speedo, and the light came off as a result.

bottom line: I rode two days straight with the engine light on due to an electrical mishap and there were no repercussions.

after an oil leak (lay shaft seal), soft valve guides, and an questionable electrical behavior, I say have faith a ride.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
how critical is it? i started getting intermittent light of the engine light not too long ago. usually it resets if i just power off then back on again and doesn't show up for the rest of the ride.

what exactly is this monitoring?
Do you have a FatDuc O2 Manipulator installed? I was getting the yellow light, like you describe, and when I took the bike in for a service, I got them to check out the yellow light issue, and it was pointing to a oxygen sensor issue.

For me, it only seemed to happen if I left the bike idling for too long, and once almost straight away on an extremely hot day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a FatDuc O2 Manipulator installed? I was getting the yellow light, like you describe, and when I took the bike in for a service, I got them to check out the yellow light issue, and it was pointing to a oxygen sensor issue.

For me, it only seemed to happen if I left the bike idling for too long, and once almost straight away on an extremely hot day.
identical issue actually. i do have a fatduc, and it was hot and the bike was idling a while. at least on one of the times for sure, i believe the other times i have seen it come on were after a bit of idling with higher than normal ambient temps.

which actually brings up a slightly different question, what temp range is ok for the bike to show? i was riding at 220 and saw some fluctuation, but someone was telling me they thought the bikes were overcooled, and could infact run without the oil cooler. im not looking to prove them wrong, i am just curious if anyone has any data on what the range is for the bike.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I have the same problem; fatduc fitted. It goes away if you keep the revs up for a little while in a lower gear. I think that the O2 sensor may be getting a carbon buildup on it which causes the fault

·
Registered
985 Posts
I ran with my FatDuc adjusted to about mid range for almost a year with no problems whatever. Got a wild hare one day to see how the bike ran with the FatDuc adjusted to the full rich (clockwise) position. The check engine light came on during the first ride after the adjustment. It would go off for awhile after shutting down and retstarting, and then would come on again. I adjusted it once more, this time to 1/4 of the range leaner (counter-clockwise), off of the full rich stop. Now, no engine light, and the bike runs perfectly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm ill mess with it a bit and see whats what.

thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the same problem; fatduc fitted. It goes away if you keep the revs up for a little while in a lower gear. I think that the O2 sensor may be getting a carbon buildup on it which causes the fault
Correct.... I've lost track of all the various threads discussing O2 Manipulators, but the intermittent CEL is a documented side effect after installation. It is due to excess carbon buildup on the O2 sensor from the richer mixture and usually appears after extended periods of idling or steady cruising. The light goes away after the motor is revved and the hot exhaust gases clean of the sensor. One thing we learned when developing the product is the AFR at idle will be slightly richer than it is during normal operation of the bike. The overall goal is to run the variable trimmer on the O2 Manipulator as lean as possible that reduces or eliminates the lean fueling issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts