Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of losing out on this, I'm trying to identify this engine. From a 2004 DB4 Bimota, its obviously a 900ss lump. However I'm trying to determine if its and FI engine or a carbed version. The DB4s weren't made in 2004, so it could be from a 1998-1999 carbed bike (Monster engine), or a 2000-2001 DB4 ie (supersport engine) bike. The original bike is not around to check. I also can't have a look see as its listed on a well know auction site. Anything I can ask the seller to check to fully determine what engine it is?

1. Engine bolt size (10 or 12mm)?
2. Swingarm pivot size (different between monsters and SS)?
3. Alternator wiring (2 or 3 wire)?

You can see that the intakes are "short" but that doesn't necessarily mean that its FI or carbed.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
302 Posts
No external oil lines - either 1998 Carby, or FI model I think. The FI didn't have a mechanical tach drive either I believe (horizontal head, on top), so that makes it a 98-99 monster maybe?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
second pick shows a rotation sensor, so it's an ie. green covers mean up to 2000. so it's a 10mm engine bolt, bearing in case swingarm pivot (monster and ss), 3 phase alt motor.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Plus injection intake manifolds and engine temp sensor location in the horizontal intake valve cover.

As mentioned the engine number under the alternator cover would give more info as to what the cases were designated for (monster or SS or ???). Bimota may have another designation so if you do get it let us know as i like to keep track of these designations in case someone asks in the future.

Air cooled cylinders and a later motor should mean the large valve V style heads. The heads will likely have stampings on the left side to designate whats inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts