Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting around to upgrading my power and ground wires with some from powerlet. Any advice on accessing that rear ground bolt would be appreciated. I have all the plastic off but it seems to be in a tricky location. Would removing the tank and going at it from the top be the method with a socket and extension? thanks, Craig

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If I recall correctly, I used a 5mm bit and ratcheting box wrench on the bit. Spray it with penetrating oil days before you want to do this cause that sucker will resist being removed. I like Kano Kroil oil. I think I used a small torch too.

Good Luck
t_bare

·
7,733 Posts
A good thing to remember, is that that bolt is hollow, ie the allen key can go right through it, so make sure you set it, ie socket or key, deeply in the bolt. I put the short end of a regular allen key into it as far as I could so that the long end could be tapped/hit from the other side of the bike, using a long piece of 1x1 wood as a drift with a good hammer as the persuader. The bolt turned. :)

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
All of the above is great advise, once out I change my bolt to a hex head.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful as usual. I did a search on the forum and found other info as well. Allot of horror stories which is a bit of a concern. Is the ground wire a critical upgrade? Power wires are installed and my thoughts are that those would be the crital items for lowering resistance and increaseing current flow for better engine starts.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'd say the ground is equally as important but it does not necessarily need to go in the exact same place. I'd try to remove it but don't get gorilla crazy on it as you already know the consequences.

t_bare

·
Registered
06' ST3
426 Posts
Yeah, I don't think those are hollow. We're talking the bolt that holds the negative lead from the battery to the engine case? I upgraded my negative lead and access to that bolt was a bitch and the bolt was super tight but the OE bolt with Allen head was not hollow I don't think. Taking it off and installing the new lead was tricky but doable. If we're talking about something else, then excuse my ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
If you can't get the old ground out, then put in the new ground as a second negative lead. I got the old bolt (really a button head screw) out, and then doubled up on the ground wires. No reason not. In my 999, the instructions from Mike Heth for his Hi-Cap wires were to do exactly that anyway. When it comes to juice, more's better.

Ron

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Mine was hollow, as well as the 2 others I helped change out..both were older models.

·
7,733 Posts
Is it ? I didn't notice that when I took mine off Frank.
Mine was "hollow" and I've had my bike since new, ie no chance a po exchanged it. I always try my best to make sure any allen head fastener removers that I use, ie key or socket, are seated as deeply into the bolt as possible to avoid stripping it, though I still come close at times, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a hollow bolt for a change; that's why I decided to reuse it instead of replacing it. No way that baby's gonna get stripped. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts