Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Recently acquired an 07 Sport Classic. I'm pretty sure the PO never washed it. Ever. There's years of stuff built up on the engine fins. I'm confident I can get the rest of the bike clean, but does anyone have any tips for getting this baked on residue off? I'd like to restore it to it's original luster... or as close as possible. I'd also prefer not to drop the engine if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
172 Posts
When I purchased mine from the auction in SLC it was super dirty and full of grime. I used WD-40 and Simple Green and after I was done it looked like a new penny. All of it is readily available and relatively cheap. I'd recommend using WD-40 before Simple Green though. Whatever you do do not used Super Clean, it'll etch aluminum and fade out the black paint.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I purchased mine from the auction in SLC it was super dirty and full of grime. I used WD-40 and Simple Green and after I was done it looked like a new penny. All of it is readily available and relatively cheap. I'd recommend using WD-40 before Simple Green though. Whatever you do do not used Super Clean, it'll etch aluminum and fade out the black paint.
I've been using WD40 on practically everything. Just took the old head wrap off last night and scrubbed the headers down with it. They turned out nice, although I'm probably going to put a fresh wrap on them.
Did you use anything to actually scrub with? Vinyl Brush? Wire Brush? I think this mess is going to take more than just a wipe down. Primarily talking about the engine / cooling fins. Thinking maybe a short bristle brush to get in between them.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Be careful with the standard "green" Simple Green. This has been discussed before here- it can be corrosive to bare metals. I just picked up some of the Simple Green PRO HD (purple color) for this reason. Haven't tried it yet , but it's supposed to be safe for bare metals.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The is a cheap product for the The Dollar Store call L.A. Awesome it is yellow and it works really well and cheap as hell. Spray on brush or wipe then rinse off. I use the shit out of that stuff on my dirt bike.

t_bare

1 - 6 of 6 Posts