Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in the SuperSport section but it's probably as appropriate here.
Quick Intro.52 yrs old, been riding,racing and building bikes and cars all my life. I'm a fabricator/welder/machinist/designer with access to all the equipment needed owned or available. I just traded my 1198 for an 1199, and I ride a Yamaha R6 while coaching trackdays for Team ProMotion.
I want to build a very lightweight and simple cafe bike for my girl who is 4'11" and 100 lbs for her first road bike. I want to build a single from an air/oil cooled Duc engine. I have done this with a HD sportster engine before, so I know how to do it. That being said, I know little about the aircooled ducs. I don't have a fortune to dump into this so I will probably buy an engine with a damaged cylinder or head, or even an entire wrecked bike. Now, here is where I need your help. I want to weight my options for engine choice. In a perfect world I'd pick a DS or the most powerful engine I could, but not sure if I can afford to. I want to use no smaller than an 800cc, be it SS, or monster. Could some of you give me an idea of what I should expect to pay for wrecked bikes with good engine, prices on just engines, good and hurt, and opinions on which engines you would use and why? Any info on interchangability of parts on these aircooled engines? For instance, if i bought an injected 800 monster engine could i convert to carbs and use an early 900 ignition system to can the late model ECM?I will be building a one off frame and rear suspension, but registering the finished bike would be easier if I used the steering head from a wreck. I know there is some great knowledge here, I've been lurking for years! This might make for an interesting sticky too

1 - 3 of 3 Posts