Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm building a sport classic/cafe from ss donor and sport custom frame. Do you guys know what engines would fit in the space? I've found an 2004 ds1000 mulitidtrada engine but it's a little pricey. Would a 900 ss engine fit or you guys know of something similar?

Any info would be great ??

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Hi, you might need to tell everyone a bit more info on the age of the SS frame? From what I have learned, there are some models that use the motor as a swing arm pivot and others that use the frame, then there is rear engine mount bolt hole sizes that vary between years.

Good luck with your build, but plenty of research needs to be done.

Craig

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the ss, st, m and sc all use the "bearing in case" swingarm pivot. all are fundamentally interchangeable in that sense. so any 400, 600, 620, 695, 696, 750, 796, 800, 900, 1000 and 1100 engine from those models will fit the frame mounts and swingarm.

the hm, mts and the 916 on sbk use the "bearing in swingarm" pivot where the swingarm mounts are narrower, and the hole is lower in the sbk cases. not sure about the 2v re hole location vertical wise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the ss, st, m and sc all use the "bearing in case" swingarm pivot. all are fundamentally interchangeable in that sense. so any 400, 600, 620, 695, 696, 750, 796, 800, 900, 1000 and 1100 engine from those models will fit the frame mounts and swingarm.

the hm, mts and the 916 on sbk use the "bearing in swingarm" pivot where the swingarm mounts are narrower, and the hole is lower in the sbk cases. not sure about the 2v re hole location vertical wise.

That's awesome! So I can just drop the ss 900 engine in, would you happen to know if the front end goes right onto that frame from the ss 900?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
steering head bearings are the larger, ball bearing type in the sc frame, but 900ss forks will fit into sc triples. 900ss forks are probably longer too, maybe 30mm or so?

900ss, ssie and 900 monster carb front sprocket will be too far in too by 5mm. any 900 monster ie will be right, as the output shaft is longer on them and later 1000 engines.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Surprised you don't go for the 1100 motor?
yeah seriously, if you're starting from scratch why not put the better engine in there? Do a DS1100 if you can find one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts