Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know this is common problem but to my surprise I couldn't find any threads here in the Vintage forum (search terms: case leak, case oil, oil leak, oil seepage). I have a '74 750GT. I am pretty sure the oil is seeping from the seams. What have owners done please? Replace gasket? Any recommendation shops in the US? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hi,

First off, I don't think that oil leaks are a common problem; what area is yours leaking from? If you think that it is leaking from the crankcase centre gasket, I would say that is unlikely, but it is possible to get oil seeping from the filter drain at the right side of the engine, which runs across to the centre under the crankcase. Another place that leaks can occur from is behind the gearbox sprocket, if the nut is not tightened with a proper tool, this seeps out and runs under the engine.

Give us some more info.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Start by doing a very thorough cleaning.
Then spray some foot powder in the area you suspect, it must be a white powder. Dr scholls or a store brand are fine what ever is cheapest, do not buy clear. When you run the bike observe the powder and look for darkening of the powder in spots that are leaking, if you have not cleaned well enough you will waste your time so again clean very well first off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts