Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article about the new Aprilia V4 and they talked about how good the brakes, combined with "minimal engine braking and a slipper clutch" worked. Neither my SP or the Monster before it had slipper clutches, so I learned to rev-match down shifts, and rely a lot, often exclusively, on downshifting into turns (a bonus is it sound sooo good). Actually I rarely use the brakes except as "last resort" going hot into a corner, or, of course, in traffic. I learned to use the brakes more on a GSXR 750 I had for a while, because it had less engine braking. I realize that at 9 or 10 tenths one uses everything available. I get the impresssion that the Aprilia relies mostly on braking for the entrance, downshifting for the exit and relying on the slipper to not lock the rear. What say you? TT

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, the old mechanics tale is that brakes are cheaper to replace when they wear out than clutches...

·
Registered
157 Posts
unless you slip the clutch alot or put alot of stress dumping the clutch on launches, or of course wheelies (which you are on the wrong kind of bike if you stunt like an idiot) you can equally engine brake and normal brake and not need to replace your brakes as often.

although you will be looking for a new clutch pack at about 20-25k, which you would probably want to replace by then anyways.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have a slipper clutch on my track bike and I totally rely on my front brake. much more control, smother corner entry and when you get comfortable with trail braking you go into the corner much deeper. Rolling off the throttle is all I want for engine braking

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hmmm... that grinding sound you hear is well worn old gears trying to mesh as I reset my technique. Old dog's going to learn some new tricks. Thanks all - TT

"Couldn't tell you what those brakes are for ..." Jackson Browne

Just re-read The Pace. TT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts