Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel the rear spring on my 2016 MTS Enduro is WAY too light for the kind of riding and weight we carry. I'm looking for a new rear spring. Anyone know where I can order a heavier spring?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was your spring replaced under recall? The new feels a little better. I weight 235lbs and set the suspension for rider plus load and when the wife is a passenger, two riders plus luggage. I just have the top case. She says it's much more comfortable than my HD road glide was. The power settings also affect the ride. I have full Termi and the race software seem to firm up the ride. And I have read you can manually adjust the preload, something I haven't tried. Still thrilled with this bike and get compliments everywhere I stop.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a recall on the rear shock on some of the MTS Enduros. Both of mine are subject to the recall. Local shop has shocks for both bikes ready to go but I wanted to put heavier springs on the shocks before the shocks got installed.

I've adjusted the preload to it's max and run in 2 up, with bags only.. it's still not enough to handle me with full gear and all my camping crap for a week of camping. I frequently bottom the rear suspension over stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've adjusted the preload to it's max and run in 2 up, with bags only.. it's still not enough to handle me with full gear and all my camping crap for a week of camping. I frequently bottom the rear suspension over stuff.
The available load capacity of the Enduro is 465 lbs (1025 lbs GVWR - 560 lbs 90% fluid). I have rode with definitely in excess of 400 lbs on board with no degradation of ride quality (street). It's possible with the over loading of the tail, with the weight of the gear, you are exceeding that in "dynamic" conditions. The Propilot may be your best alternative or putting your passenger on the second bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The available load capacity of the Enduro is 465 lbs (1025 lbs GVWR - 560 lbs 90% fluid). I have rode with definitely in excess of 400 lbs on board with no degradation of ride quality (street). It's possible with the over loading of the tail, with the weight of the gear, you are exceeding that in "dynamic" conditions. The Propilot may be your best alternative or putting your passenger on the second bike.
Myself and full camping gear, the bike goes down the pavement 'ok'.. not fantastic with only slight head shake at speed. Toss a second person on the back (135 lbs) and things get crazy. Massive head shake at speed. I keep riding and kinda ignore it (I have a CRF450X, so I'm used to head shake! LOL). Me with camping gear off road.. forget about it. Massive bottoms at pretty much every knife edge, big bump or small jump. I won't jump big when off road with camping gear.. too much pain.

The upside? The forks are amazing and handle anything I can toss at it. Many times I've puckered and held on way tighter than I need to when hitting something only to have it disappear in the front. It re appears when the back hits it though.

If I could ever get pro pilot to call me back, we'd be ok. I'm half tempted to pull it off and send it all to race tech. Or, just ride over and work with them on a valve stack/spring combo. I bought an enduro style bike to ride enduro style.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That sounds like a problem that is not typical but specific to your bike or setup. If you are light in weight but your gear is heavy then there is not enough weight on the front wheel. I weight 250lbs and the bike is rock solid to 120mph(closed course). Sounds like you may want to take the bike back to stock front and back and then have the dealer verify everything is calibrated.

I had a similar problem with my 2012 Diavel. The spring rates of the Marchozzi forks and Sachs rear was overwhelmed by my weight and desire for speed. I tried loading up the preload as well with poor results. Switched to Ohlins front and back and the everything was right. Big financial investment but made the ride perfect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a problem that is not typical but specific to your bike or setup. If you are light in weight but your gear is heavy then there is not enough weight on the front wheel. I weight 250lbs and the bike is rock solid to 120mph(closed course). Sounds like you may want to take the bike back to stock front and back and then have the dealer verify everything is calibrated.

I had a similar problem with my 2012 Diavel. The spring rates of the Marchozzi forks and Sachs rear was overwhelmed by my weight and desire for speed. I tried loading up the preload as well with poor results. Switched to Ohlins front and back and the everything was right. Big financial investment but made the ride perfect.
Nah, quite the opposite for me. I'm a fat f'er... 260 lbs without gear. The bike is rock solid at it's max speed (as measured on the numerous closed courses we have here) when I don't have the panniers on. Put them on and load it up with a pax and camping gear, the bike feels like my CRF in sandy conditions (head shake like a chick on hip hop night at the local club). Ditch the pax and it gets better but still head shakes. I'm 100% convinced they went too soft on rear springs with the Enduro, obviously not planning on Americans riding the darn thing down more than a smooth back road.

I also had at Diavel...it was rock solid to redline in 6th (yes, once again, closed course tucked and hauling ass but our closed courses here are glass smooth). That was a fun bike.. that I never rode. (2k miles in 4 years.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ironic

Isn't it ironic that the person in the website in Post #4 went to all of this trouble to put on a stiffer spring on a shock that was recently recalled no less. Look at the bottom clamp and you can tell it was the earlier version that Ducati just replaced DOC.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no affiliation but I did find this page while look for my 2013 MTS

Ducati 2016 Multistrada 1200 Enduro - Pro Pilot Suspension
It would be great if they'd pick up the phone or call back. I doubt I'll be sending my stuff since they can't even respond to a call.

Also, as a side note, I contacted Race Tech about our issue. They want a bike and would happily take mine for testing. I'm totally good with that, but they won't return a call either. I just can't trust my stuff to a company that won't return a simple call after a few weeks. Customer service is so lacking in this industry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts