Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY got around to removing the emissions canister. Bought the kit from TPO for $14 at
http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/32

After doing it, didn't really need that kit I suppose, but having the 2 correct bolts to replace the fittings/stems I removed and the Loctite I suppose was nice. Didn't need their tubing, Y joint, or zip ties that came with their kit though. Nor do you need to follow any of their instructions with regard to splicing the gas tank vapor tube.
Attached are pics of:
1) the right side fitting after removing the stock stem (that the tubing had attached to it) and replacing it with the bolt from the kit.
2) the left side fitting after replacement with the bolt from their kit.
3) the re-routed gas tank vapor tube (used some spare rubber tie straps to attach it to other tubes that point earthwards)
4) the TPO instructions and the remains.
5) The finished result.
Took 15 minutes. The right side bolt is breeze to get to. The left side fitting wasn't too hard to remove, but to putting the replacement bolt in its place is alittle tricky and required using a small piece of tape to attach the bolt to the end of the allen key so I could thread the end of the allen key (with the bolt lightly taped to it) through the V of the frame and slightly downwards into the hole.
In addition to looking better, likely removed more weight from the bike than would have been achieved from dropping $1,000 for a magnesium wet clutch cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You can buy two vacuum caps, or run a hose from one intake to the other. It saves a few bucks, and the tech's won't have to take the screws out to work on the bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Do the Vacuum Cap's need clamps?

Bought the TPO Kit last week. Read this thread pre-RedBCGrayGT and managed to loose one of the two screws while working. Came in to search the threads for screw size info & saw the additional post!

Went back out and put both fittings back on and used the (too large ID) Santoprene hose from the kit; connecting the two using the stock clamps. Will look for some caps this week.

Do those caps need clamps or are they tight/push on & go?

07Sport1KS is right, forget all the Y's and splicing. My vent line was not as long; just zip-tied as far South as possible. Knowing what I know now, the kit is not needed, but for the price it was peace of mind.

I did find one think troublesome...

The vent line was pinched FLAT between a wire bundle and the fuel hose. It look pinched closed and took a healthly pull to free. Doubt it was free-breathing. I still belive Ethanol has a lot to do with Tank Spreading, but the closed line didn't help any!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
On my 07 I think I went to Auto Zone and bought a verity pack of caps and put on some that fit snug. When my tech serviced the bike he put a vacuum line from one intake to the other. When the canister fell off my 08 I did it the same way with the line that tees I capped one of the tees. And yea when I opened the tank on my new bike it would POOF! The big vent hose from the tank was pinched so I took the tank up and fixed that. I hope this helps
oh yea you don't need clamps on the caps

·
Registered
714 Posts
this could not be easyer,I stuck a teflon taped screw into the vacume line and slid a connecter into the gas vent tube connecting the two lines together.DONE.every thing is right were it was in case it needs to go back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts