Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on now, you went there didn't you!!

I tried a set of the Aztec spacers the other day and they didn't really help me. The buffeting and wind noise was a little less at best. For the record, I am 5ft 9", 31" inseam...enjoy long walks on the beach (oh wait, wrong forum!!).

So today, I decided to let my Multi go naked. I took the wind screen off and went for a nice ride on some backroads and then did some superslab.

Wow, what a difference!! Sure this won't be the right setup when the weather gets cold or wet, but it's perfect right now. So it's time to look for a super shorty screen and call it good.

Embrace your (Multi) nakedness, you might just like it :cool:

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
i chopped mine a year ago. it's an easy no-cost way to get rid of the turbulence:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice!!

What did you use to do the cutting and then polishing?
I would give it a try, just worried I wouldn't get a nice even arc with hand tools...then my OCD would kick in and drive me nuts :think:

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
masking tape the area to be cut, scribe a 11.75" radius off the lower mount fastener, use a loose hacksaw blade and cut slowly.

to finish i used some sandpaper on a wood block to smooth out the tool marks. it looks like a shop did it, turned out very well.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
i chopped mine a year ago. it's an easy no-cost way to get rid of the turbulence:D

Glad to find this thread:). This what I need to do as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kinda like a "bananna hammock".
Small, well designed and marginally grotesque.
I like it!
:D

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
i have to agree with cutting it down . did it a month or so ago - in hindsight should have been one of the first things i did when getting the bike :mad: Spray painted the inside of the screen matt black for the finish.

Lumox - you must have had a ton of patience to cut the screen with a loose hacksaw blade :eek: !!!!! i used a dremel

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great idea to do the arc off of the lower mount point!!

I am going to have to get a compass like tool so I can draw the arc out evenly.
I will have to give the dremel a try, since I have one :)

I like the idea of doing a matte black spray on the inside. You could even use some nice RC paints.

As I get my plan together, I will have to update this thread.
Cheers :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did mine last week after riding my mates pikes peak, used his screen as a template, didn't cut it myself and put some red vinyl on the underside and painted with an aerosol again on the underside, looks great and such an improvement, clean air flow :)

Attachments

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
It's super easy, like lumox said. After taping the top part of where I was going to cut, I took a piece of string and attached a pencil. I anchored the string at the bottom hole and drew an arc (on the front surface of the shield) from one side to the other, on top of the masking tape.

Cut along the line with a dremel, sanded it smooth using different grits and a block. Painted matte black on the back side.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yea, I ditched the stock screen after my first long ride. Rode for two weeks with no screen but didn't like the look so I went back to the dealership and ordered a pikes peak screen. Massive improvement over stock. Tried the pikes peak with the Aztec spacers as well, but there wasn't any noticeable improvement and the CF didn't like to bend as much as needed for the Aztec install.

There's still a bit of wind noise from the air traveling under the helmet, but absolutely no buffeting when you're out of traffic. I bought an olympia moab jacket with a high roll collar to create a tighter seal around the helmet and now with my earbuds in there's almost no wind noise at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You guys are spot on. I've got the stock, the PP, the MRA-Vario screens, and the Aztec spacers. I've tried every combination and always end up going back to the short PP screen. For me, its the quietest by far!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Old news... I cut mine back in 2010.....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I like the idea of doing a matte black spray on the inside. You could even use some nice RC paints.
I have a black shorty after market screen so I'm good to go. Never thought of painting it.

A couple of questions about painting.

What are "RC paints"?

And if you painted your screen what product would you use to clean bug spatter off of it so as to not remove or mar, the paint?

Dan

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Paint it on the inside and you don't have to worry about it.
Bob

True dat!

But if you wanted the screen to show a "new color" like Olive Drab for instance.....painting that color on the inside only would not show through.

Because my shorty is a dark tint screen.

So it makes sense to cut down the (clear) stock screen if you wanted a new color.

I get it.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
What are "RC paints"?

Dan
Rattle Can?

I assume that you guys who whacked your screens do long distance trips? I mean, you own the greatest sport-tourer available. I don't have a problem with cutting the windshield (have done it before) but am willing to buy the CalSci shorty or wait for the Puig if I need the stock shield for long distance or poor weather.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Upside down vice mounted electric Jigsaw with the fine blade will give you a super easy tool to cut the screen down. You can see your cut line very clearly and the finish is almost good enough to not worry about any sanding, just take off the sharp edges.

Have run this for over a year rain or shine

1 - 20 of 37 Posts