Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ST4 did not come with a spring adjustment tool so I went on line and bought this, as it said it was for the ST models and in fact most/all Ducs with an Ohlin rear shock.

Well I put it on the spring collar and only one tang catches at a time. So, do you use the rear catch and push the collar, use the front catch and pull the collar? Neither seemed to work for me as the collar did not budge. Of course there is little to no room to work in there, but still seems a bit of a cluster for an adjustment that should be easy to make "in the field.
thx

·
Mr Leakered
8,862 Posts
Grind off the tang near the handle. You use it in one direction to add preload and flip it over to lessen preload.

You might also need to shorten the handle to fit properly under the subframe and oil trap?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Does your shock have the 2 locking rings on it?

If so, you need to use a small thin punch and hammer to knock the top ring away from the bottom ring, just a half turn or less, then you can adjust the bottom ring to where you want it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think so. My spring has the very old style "mountain" style adjusters where turning it just pushes the adjusters further apart or closer together, see pic. Not dual threaded collars like newer bikes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't think so. My spring has the very old style "mountain" style adjusters where turning it just pushes the adjusters further apart or closer together, see pic. Not dual threaded collars like newer bikes.

That's a Sach shock and has different collars than an Ohlins.

I have the same issue with my Sachs adjustment. I tried the punch method which I didn't get to work. Also tried a 3/8 drive collar tool which I can only adjust one way (reduce preload). I'd like to know if somebody has a good tool to adjust the Sach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mr Leakered
8,862 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts